Regarding the Python No-Spill System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocncheffy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm very interested to get this for my 8 gallon tank as buckets are always a pain. I really like how it siphons the water directly into the sink and how you can fill the tank right from the sink as well! My only concern is having non-treated water enter my fish tank.. Will this be harmful even if I dose prime into the tank at the same time? It's a small tank so water changes and new water is pretty critical for the fish and RCS..

Any input is appreciated!

I wouldn't recommend the dosing tank/ adding untreated water method in anything less than 30 gallons. Not enough water there to dilute out the untreated water while the conditioner goes to work.
Also, rolling out the 25ft hose, switching the aerator to the faucet fitting, siphoning for about 30 seconds, draining the hose, setting the temp., filling the tank back up, then rolling the hose back up, and replacing the aerator seems a bit excessive for 4 gallons, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't recommend the dosing tank/ adding untreated water method in anything less than 30 gallons. Not enough water there to dilute out the untreated water while the conditioner goes to work.
Also, rolling out the 25ft hose, switching the aerator to the faucet fitting, siphoning for about 30 seconds, draining the hose, setting the temp., filling the tank back up, then rolling the hose back up, and replacing the aerator seems a bit excessive for 4 gallons, IMO.

The tank is 8 gallons actually, but I do see your point.. Not enough water left to mix well with untreated water. Looks like I'll stick with to the bucket method.

The tank is 8 gallons actually, but I do see your point.. Not enough water left to mix well with untreated water. Looks like I'll stick with to the bucket method.

I wouldn't worry about that. As long as you're using a good water conditioner like Seachem Prime, it'll neutralize everything instantly. In your case though, I'd either just use a small gravel vac and 1 gallon water jug, or if you really are sick of filling it back up with your current method, go to walmart and pick up a 25 ft water hose (made for RV's, safe for drinking) for 10 bucks and then run to a hardware store and grab an attachment for your sink for another couple bucks. Much better/cheaper than spending all that money on a Python.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You dont even need a python for an 8 gal. Thats just ridiculous. Less work just using a bucket

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Agreed.. sometimes the python is more trouble than its worth...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

All conditioners work instantaneously. That's why I said to remove water, dose tank, add water. Also, depending on the location of the tank to the faucet being used, it may be much easier to use a setup similar to a Python or Aqueon system with parts from a hardware store and a short hose. I have two units that I use (1 for QT and 1 for established tanks) that have been modified because of where they are located. One is much longer (about 48') with a double male and two hose clamps (pic) and the other is much shorter (about 12') since the tank is only around the corner from the sink.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404655700.247393.jpg

It's still much less time and aggravation than a bucket brigade. If you can get a one gallon bucket in an 8g tank your lucky. Fill it 4 times and walk to sink to empty, turn on tap & get temp right. Fill container & shut off water 4 times (because you don't want to waste it) while you're pouring it in slowly enough to not rearrange all your substrate.

That, to me, seems like so much more of a PITA than unrolling a hose and turning on a valve.

At this time, I would also like to pay myself on the back as I stuck to the OP's question and used TASTE and TACT in answering.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

In short, you don't have to worry about concentrated levels of water conditioner in your tank. They are safe up to a 10x concentration if I'm not mistaken so there's a lot of room for error on that part.
You dont even need a python for an 8 gal. Thats just ridiculous. Less work just using a bucket

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice
I'm going to agree with puckhog. It's easier to manage water changes in a bucket and you also don't have to worry about sucking up shrimp. That's always one of the things that I had to deal with when using mine.

At this time, I would also like to pay myself on the back as I stuck to the OP's question and used TASTE and TACT in answering.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

This part of your reply negated any tact or taste that your answer credited you with.

Alright you guys have some good points, especially about sucking up shrimp.. I'll stick to the bucket method.

Back
Top Bottom