Regular water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniper187

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Some ppl say once a week. Some every two weeks. Some say even a month.

What are your thoughts on regular water changes to keep your fish healthy. I'm curious to know cus I'm kinda new to this. Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks guys

I do mine weekly, about 70%. but I would say it depends on your stock. if you have a 2 fish 20 gal you maybe able to make it to a month. I like my weekly water changes.

You change out as much water as is needed to combat rising nitrates and other harmful things in the water. If you find yourself always playing catch up then you are more then likely overstocked. Some fish can handle larger fluctuations in nitrates so may need more/less wc to keep them healthy. For my reef tank I do 25% every 10 days or so but my cichlids I do a 75% followed by a 20-50% every week (overstocked tank). Every tank will be different and you'll need to find your "sweet spot" but remember an extra wc never hurts ;)

If you wanna get into refugiums and planted tanks then your talking a whole other subject lol

Mrc8858 said:
You change out as much water as is needed to combat rising nitrates and other harmful things in the water. If you find yourself always playing catch up then you are more then likely overstocked. Some fish can handle larger fluctuations in nitrates so may need more/less wc to keep them healthy. For my reef tank I do 25% every 10 days or so but my cichlids I do a 75% followed by a 20-50% every week (overstocked tank). Every tank will be different and you'll need to find your "sweet spot" but remember an extra wc never hurts ;)

I have a 37 galon with about 22 fish. What do u recommend?

Sniper187 said:
I have a 37 galon with about 22 fish. What do u recommend?

What kind of fish/size/filtration/planted?

Edit* also what's your feeding schedule (what/how much/how often) and have you tested your tap water (some contains nitrates so more WCs are needed)

Back
Top Bottom