Rehomimg common pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigroscr

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After reading a lot of horror stories about plecos now I'm afraid for one of my plecos who is in a 40 g tank, and afraid that he will die or his growth will be stunted and he will have to suffer a long painful death :-( right now he's only about 3-4 inches so I was wondering if he will be ok if I put him in my 75 g with an existing pleco that's at least 10 inches from head to tail. I know plecos are very territorial and I don't want the bigger one to hurt him. It would just be for about a month until I get my 55 g set back up. My big pleco used to share a tank with my other big pleco and sometimes they would fight for territory or really it was more like a squabbling they never really hurt each other. But I had a guy offer me 50 bucks for my other pleco and he's been the only pleco in the tank for about 2 mths or so, any advice?

Personally, I wouldn't put 2 plecos together with that much of a size difference. IME, plecos get possessive over food so the littler one might have a hrd time eating. But, if you put wafers/veggies on opposite sides of the tank, you would maybe be ok. If I were you, I would just wait a month and put the little guy in the 55 when you can. However, you will still run inot problems with the pleco in a 55 gallon eventually. They get HUGE.

Yeah I know they can get big but mine is around 5 yrs old and about 10 inches. Do you think he'll get any bigger. Doesnt seem like he's grown any for awhile maybe he's full grown (hopefully). The other pleco I sold was bigger but they were purchased at the same time and so they grew up together. :) they were bro's lol!

I am not an expert, but since their full length can be so big, I am guessing yours quit growing because he is stunted. That is just my guess. I have never seen one get to even a foot long in a 55 gallon, but I have certainly seen them bigger in bigger tanks. 75 offers more growing room though, so I don't know.
They are very pretty fish. I love the pattern on them.

Maybe mine is a female and that's why she's smaller? Because they both grew up together in the same size tank 55 g and the other one I sold Was a Monster! He was definitely a foot long from head to tail. But I've never seen any of my common plecos suck onto another fish! Thank god for that! Seems like a lot of people have had that issue! Mine just likes to chill and suck on the fake hippo skull that he's always lounging on, it's his favorite roost, lol! :)

Maybe mine is a female and that's why she's smaller? Because they both grew up together in the same size tank 55 g and the other one I sold Was a Monster! He was definitely a foot long from head to tail. But I've never seen any of my common plecos suck onto another fish! Thank god for that! Seems like a lot of people have had that issue! Mine just likes to chill and suck on the fake hippo skull that he's always lounging on, it's his favorite roost, lol! :)
I have only heard of CAE doing that. A common pleco would leave one seriously large hicky!

Back
Top Bottom