Reintroducing Snails After Velvet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

totalnoob

Aquarium Advice Regular
Evening, all.

I have a question in regards to reintroducing nerite snails after losing a fish to velvet. In early to mid May, I lost my betta fish to velvet. :( He had two nerite snails in his tank with him, and as I understand it, they cannot get velvet, but they can transmit it.

As such, I moved them into their own small tank with a heater/filter/cuttle bone, and have been keeping them by themselves so as not to infect any of my other fish/tanks.

I recently set up a 38g community tank, and I would like to add the other two nerites to this tank (there is soooo much for them to eat in there, lol!), but I am absolutely terrified of killing all my fish. =\

At what point, if ever, is it going to be okay for me to add these guys back into a regular tank? At this point, I believe they've been by themselves for 6-8 weeks (I can't remember exactly, I know my fish died like a week or two before Memorial Day).

It makes me nervous to think of introducing something like that into my main tank. But at the same time, I do know that at some point, the organism should die off if it has no host. Can it go dormant and then reappear when introduced into a new tank with fish hosts? My poor betta suffered quite a bit (I didn't figure out what it was until it was too late :() and I can't imagine going through that in my main tank. >.<

Any ideas?

Following! No idea here, one link said 2 to 3 weeks (a bit longer than 5 to 10 days post last spot for ich!). The other said as long as there is light they can derive some nutrients.

Did you run the tank high temp, no light? Or ??

Just discussion unfortunately.

Following! No idea here, one link said 2 to 3 weeks (a bit longer than 5 to 10 days post last spot for ich!). The other said as long as there is light they can derive some nutrients.

Did you run the tank high temp, no light? Or ??

Just discussion unfortunately.

TBH, since they are snails, they are in a little tank in the basement. XD They do have a heater and a filter, but the only light is a table lamp that is on the piece of furniture they're on, lol.

I have been looking and I am seeing ~6 weeks for a fallow period, but I have seen as high as 12 weeks, so I am not really sure what I am supposed to do. =\ I figured maybe I should leave them until the end of July, that should put them around 8-10 weeks on their own. Marine Velvet is apparently quite the pain in the butt.

Back
Top Bottom