Relocated 29 gallon fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikey214

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all !

I haven’t posted on here in awhile. I finally relocated my fish tank (29 gallons) from my in-laws to my house. It was actually an easy move and went a lot smoother than I envisioned. The tank is all set up at my house now and all the fish survived.

This is my set up and my stock.
29 gallon tank with a 50 gallon HOB aquaclear filter. I also have a sponge filter in the tank which is what I used to help cycle my tank back in 2012.
1 bristlenose Pleco
1 black skirt tetra
1 candycane tetra
2 red nose tetra
1 javafern (new after the move)

After I moved the tank and as I was setting it up I did a 60% water change and did not clean the filter media just the gravel. Two days after the move I tested the water and the results were ...
Ph = 6.8ish
ammonia = 0
nitrites = 0
nitrates = 80

Yesterday (one week later) I did about a 60% water change and then tested the nitrates this morning which were about 60.

Are my nitrate levels something to be concerned about or what steps should I be taking to lower them, more water changes?

I want to get the tank back to 100% because I was not taking care of it as much as I should have been when it was at my in laws.

When I get the tank back to 100% I would like to stock more fish.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

That water change should have dropped nitrates to at least 40. Maybe shake the hell out of those nitrate bottles more. Do another 50% water change. You might test your tap waters nitrates if that's what you use.

You don't want your nitrates above 40

That water change should have dropped nitrates to at least 40. Maybe shake the hell out of those nitrate bottles more. Do another 50% water change. You might test your tap waters nitrates if that's what you use.

You don't want your nitrates above 40

How long does the API test kit last for ? I couldn’t find an expiration date on any of the bottles or packaging.

Mine have expirations stamped on the bottles. I know the nitrates bottles you have to seriously shake hard for 1 minute. I actually hit mine against my hand or on a table.

Back
Top Bottom