Remaining Stocking Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdcorliss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

Looking for suggestions to finish stocking my 55 gallon tank with.

Current Stock:

1 Dalmation Molly (Female)
1 Fancy Guppy (Female)
1 Betta (Male)
3 Chocolate Gourami
2 Clown Pleco
4 Head and Taillight Tetras
5 Misc. Platies

I have had problems right along and lost alot fish along the way. It appeared I had some sort of disease in my tank and stress. In combination with treating my tank with Melafix/Pimafix I have changed the way I acclimated the fish to the tank. Since that time I havent lost any fish since, also one of the last fish casualties was a big red platy (much bigger than the other fish in tank) who was pretty aggressive which has seemed to change the mood in the tank for the better.

Tank Parameters:

0 ppm Ammonia
0 ppm Nitrite
5-10 ppm Nitrate
7.0-7.2 ph
77-78 deg F

I am doing 50-65% pwc's every 7-10 days.

Any suggestions to finish stocking this tank would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nice to see that things are coming around for you. I'm actually surprised that your gourami's, fancy guppy and betta are getting along in your tank.

Due to your present combo, it's kinda difficult to suggest additional tankmates without having aggression issues.

The gouramis are very young, just about 1/2" to 3/4" long. The betta and the gouramis were in the same tank at the LFS when I got them. The betta will probably end up in a tank by itself in my son's room when I finish remodeling it.

I was thinking of some catfish to possibly help stir up the bottom of the tank a bit. I have pool filter sand as a substrate.

I am currently using a aquaclear 70 HOB filter as the sole filtration, thinking about buying a second filter as a backup and added filtration.

Thanks

I suggest more than 4 cories...maybe 8. I think you have the room. Get all the same type.

And I think you should up the head and tailight school. They would appreciate it. Go with 4 more.

I think moving the betta, especially with that many gouramis, to his own tank would be a good choice. I would keep an eye on the gouramis as they grow for territorial issues.

I agree on the larger school of cories. They will be a wonderful addition.

Back
Top Bottom