Removing pH buffering substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I am wanting to replace my Oolite Aragonite Sand with something like EcoComplete in my 75 gallon aquarium. As of now, I only have the sand and some rocks in there, but I'm wanting to convert to a low-tech planted tank.

Since the Aragonite sand buffers pH (it sits at around 8.0ppm), I'm worried that if I remove it all, the pH will fall. How should I switch out the substrates without harming the fish due to a pH drop?

Hey guys,

I am wanting to replace my Oolite Aragonite Sand with something like EcoComplete in my 75 gallon aquarium. As of now, I only have the sand and some rocks in there, but I'm wanting to convert to a low-tech planted tank.

Since the Aragonite sand buffers pH (it sits at around 8.0ppm), I'm worried that if I remove it all, the pH will fall. How should I switch out the substrates without harming the fish due to a pH drop?

You could do the swap and acclimate them to the new water, no different then buying them at a store with higher pH and acclimating them down to your tanks pH. What would the final pH be of the non-buffered water?

Back
Top Bottom