Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Removing Small Debris

Is it necessary to remove all the small debris from the substrate? Let me explain.

I have a 20 gallon that I keep Dwarf Crayfish in and some Guppies. It's got a big ball of Java Moss in it. Very quickly after water changes and vacuuming, there is debris on the floor of the tank. It looks a little bit like shrimp pellets after they've fallen apart. I know it's not that as it can sit there for a few days and doesn't develop the usual bacteria cloud. I do water tests and the water quality is fine, but is it absolutely necessary to remove this constantly?

The reason I'm inclined not to remove it so often is because I have to roll over my ball of Java Moss when I need to do it and I think this process ends up losing a few crayfish each time probably from stress. Does anyone have any input or suggestions?

Old 12-14-2007, 12:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Crayfish make a big stinkin mess when they eat! I would vac up as much as you can without disturbing them. The stuff that's left will either be eaten by the crayfish or break down into mulm. In either case, it will eventually turn into nitrate, but if you're doing regular water changes, those levels shouldn't become a problem.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I guess I'll have to be more diligent with my cleanings. I'm going to pick up a smaller gravel vac so I can be more precise. It'll take me longer to do water changes, but it will be at the benefit of my critters. I'm also thinking of going with a sponge filter so I'm not blowing the stuff around when I do the changes.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com