Removing the plastic lip on the top?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roundar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering about removing the plastic strip around the top of my tank. It's a 75g (the one in my sig) and its center brace is a 12-16" piece of glass. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd like to see the top open except for the brace and the light (and tubes coming in behind the light.) Basically wondering when removed can the glass be cleaned up and look decent, or is it pretty rough edged underneath there?

A pic for your enjoyment:

img_1396991_0_308720c746b30dce94cafe5aab083270.jpg

agreed. You'd be taking a big chance there. Its not just for aesthetics, its a vital structural component. Rimless aquariums do look awesome though! You buy them that way.

Found this: My 75 gallon derimming project.

His glass isn't as thick as mine and his doesn't have the big brace across the top. If the rim contributes to the structural integrity of my tank, it's not the rim itself, but the added silicone. The rim is broken up into 4 pieces of course also. I have very little fear about the integrity of the tank. In addition I could put a small bead of silicone on the inside corners of the tank and/or put a 'rim' of glass around the inside perimeter of the top of the tank if I was really worried. (Euro-bracing) I'm certainly not dead set on doing it and even leaning toward just painting in black when I paint the stand, but it remains an option.

My brace broke when I was removing the rim on my 90. From what I have found out the brace keeps the tank from bowing out ever so slightly and putting stress on the seals.

I wouldn't remove the rim if it had the metal reinforced plastic support in the middle. The fact that it has the glass support would indicate that the rim is more decorative than anything. My only concern is that the glass support in the middle is attached to the plastic. I think if you euro braced it, you would probably be ok... but if you do it, do it at your own risk. It'll probably be ok, but that's purely a guess.

My brace broke when I was removing the rim on my 90. From what I have found out the brace keeps the tank from bowing out ever so slightly and putting stress on the seals.

How's your 90 doing?

EDIT:

My only concern is that the glass support in the middle is attached to the plastic.

The top of the brace comes flush with the top of the edges it looks like. There's some silicone connecting the brace to the rim similar to the edges of the tank.

roundar said:
How's your 90 doing?

My 90 is still currently empty because I am working on a 3D background for it and trying to get a new piece of glass cut.

mfdrookie516 said:
The fact that it has the glass support would indicate that the rim is more decorative than anything. My only concern is that the glass support in the middle is attached to the plastic.

I believe you may be right the glass brace is the true holding power on the older tanks. My rim is 4 separate pieces just kin of like a picture frame. The glass to plastic thing isn't a worry IMO, the glass brace was a pain to get off of the rim.

Have you/are you going to sand down the edges mogurako?

The other answer I was trying to get from this was lids. The plan is to leave it completely open and stock accordingly, is this unwise as a permanent state of the tank?

That's not really a concern IMO. All my tanks are open topped. There are few fish that actually jumped if you stock appropriately. Obviously, any fish can jump, but I've never had issues.

That's not really a concern IMO. All my tanks are open topped. There are few fish that actually jumped if you stock appropriately. Obviously, any fish can jump, but I've never had issues.

Yeah, I assumed it's just a matter of stocking. It's just not something I've really ever given much thought to, and I'm just trying to cover everything.

roundar said:
Have you/are you going to sand down the edges mogurako?

The other answer I was trying to get from this was lids. The plan is to leave it completely open and stock accordingly, is this unwise as a permanent state of the tank?

The edges of the glass for the brace? There's a glass shop up the street that I will have it cut at and the edges finished.

I read the topic from the plantedtank.com. You'd probably ok, seeing how nalu did it. Of course, he never did move it into his house, he wanted those braces first.

Id have thought doing that or messing around with any if your actual tanks design would void any warranty issued on it. Maybe check up on that if you decide to go ahead. :)

The edges of the glass for the brace? There's a glass shop up the street that I will have it cut at and the edges finished.

No I meant the edges of the tank. I'm going to be sanding some slightly smoother edges on mine. I did go ahead with it. (Check the 75g link in my sig. for pics) I feel very confident it is still structurally sound. The only thing I'm going to do is put put a small bead of silicone from the top to the bottom in each corner for good measure. Right now they are just a flush right angle. In case it isn't clear, I don't encourage this for most 75g tanks. Even the one from theplantedtank thread I wouldn't do without full euro bracing. This is an older tank (lol, warranty long gone) w/ 3/8 inch this glass and a strong center brace. Plus, I like to live dangerously....

Back
Top Bottom