Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Removing the plastic lip on the top?

I was wondering about removing the plastic strip around the top of my tank. It's a 75g (the one in my sig) and its center brace is a 12-16" piece of glass. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'd like to see the top open except for the brace and the light (and tubes coming in behind the light.) Basically wondering when removed can the glass be cleaned up and look decent, or is it pretty rough edged underneath there?

A pic for your enjoyment:

Old 06-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I think that trim is part of the structure of the tank. I would not remove it.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

agreed. You'd be taking a big chance there. Its not just for aesthetics, its a vital structural component. Rimless aquariums do look awesome though! You buy them that way.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Found this: My 75 gallon derimming project.

His glass isn't as thick as mine and his doesn't have the big brace across the top. If the rim contributes to the structural integrity of my tank, it's not the rim itself, but the added silicone. The rim is broken up into 4 pieces of course also. I have very little fear about the integrity of the tank. In addition I could put a small bead of silicone on the inside corners of the tank and/or put a 'rim' of glass around the inside perimeter of the top of the tank if I was really worried. (Euro-bracing) I'm certainly not dead set on doing it and even leaning toward just painting in black when I paint the stand, but it remains an option.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My brace broke when I was removing the rim on my 90. From what I have found out the brace keeps the tank from bowing out ever so slightly and putting stress on the seals.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Free - 1 Year +
Community Moderator

I wouldn't remove the rim if it had the metal reinforced plastic support in the middle. The fact that it has the glass support would indicate that the rim is more decorative than anything. My only concern is that the glass support in the middle is attached to the plastic. I think if you euro braced it, you would probably be ok... but if you do it, do it at your own risk. It'll probably be ok, but that's purely a guess.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogurako View Post
My brace broke when I was removing the rim on my 90. From what I have found out the brace keeps the tank from bowing out ever so slightly and putting stress on the seals.
How's your 90 doing?

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
My only concern is that the glass support in the middle is attached to the plastic.
The top of the brace comes flush with the top of the edges it looks like. There's some silicone connecting the brace to the rim similar to the edges of the tank.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundar

How's your 90 doing?
My 90 is still currently empty because I am working on a 3D background for it and trying to get a new piece of glass cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
The fact that it has the glass support would indicate that the rim is more decorative than anything. My only concern is that the glass support in the middle is attached to the plastic.
I believe you may be right the glass brace is the true holding power on the older tanks. My rim is 4 separate pieces just kin of like a picture frame. The glass to plastic thing isn't a worry IMO, the glass brace was a pain to get off of the rim.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you/are you going to sand down the edges mogurako?

The other answer I was trying to get from this was lids. The plan is to leave it completely open and stock accordingly, is this unwise as a permanent state of the tank?
Old 06-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Free - 1 Year +
Community Moderator

That's not really a concern IMO. All my tanks are open topped. There are few fish that actually jumped if you stock appropriately. Obviously, any fish can jump, but I've never had issues.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plastic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com