Rena Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok, I purchased a Rena XP1 for my 29gal planted tank and set it up 2 days ago. I have some general questions.

1. Should I use the spray bar or the power head? an how should they be set up? Currently I have the spray bar in at the waterline angled down about 45 degrees. Any thoughts???

2. This is more of a plant question I guess but hopefully I can get it done in one thread. What should I use in the filter? I added the chem bag in that came with it so I have mechanical and chemical filtration but no bio, what is the reccomended set up here?

TIA

1. I use a spraybar in the left corner, vertically, directed towards the font of the tank. Also, since you are planted, I would point it straight out and not down at a 45 degree angle. Once your plants start getting some height, it will kick them around alot. So I would do it either straight out or slightly up.

2. For the filter, I would use the sponges in the lower basket, and a biomedia like ceramic rings in the upper basket. If using the fine pad on top, just be aware it can get clogged fairly quick with any plant matter, and may increase your maintenance.

I just got one of these myself but have not hooked it up yet. It is my belief that the chem bag is just a bag of activated carbon, which I do not think is totally necessary unless you are trying to remove meds.

LWB- the Rena XP1 onnly has one basket, where to put biomedia?

Oh, I missed that, lol. I'd do sponges in the lower half of the basket, 1 coarse and 1 medium, and ceramic rings above it in the upper half of the basket. You can do the fine pad on top if you like, but it may increase maintenance, as it will get clogged a little quicker. I took mine out because it get's clogged about every 10 days from plant matter.

Edit: Don't know why I was thinking XP2, lol.

What about putting the rings in the bottom of the canister? Seems like there is plenty of space there, and doesn't the water still pass over it?

If in the bottom, all the crud will build up in the rings. You want the water to be a little cleaner when going though the biomedia, or you will be rinsing out the biomedia a lot to unplug the rings.

I wouldnt use the rings on the bottom.

I had a XP1 on my 29g, but decided to upgrade to an XP3. I know its overkill, but I wanted more bio media and filter floss. Here is how I have mine set up

Top - Filter Floss

Middle - Bio-Stars and Ceramic rings

Bottom - 2x Coarse pads, 2x Medium pads

Seems to do great. I run basically the same setup in all my tanks, with the exception of my Mbuna tank as I have CC in the mid basket as well as bio media.

If you decide to upgrade, its really easy, as the quick disconnects fit right into the other size pumps.

Back
Top Bottom