Rent a Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkos

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I will be moving soon and be very close to my parents. At the moment I have a 10 gallon tank with lots of plants and for some reason a little too much hair algae. I think there might be high nitrate levels so I am trying to combat that theory at the moment (I don't have a nitrate test kits yet). I was thinking of moving a temp fish into the tank to munch down on the yummy hair algae so that I don't have to keep cutting leaves off of my nice plants. The fish I have available are: 1 honey gourami, 1 chocolate gourami, 1 medium flying fox, platies.

1. Are any of these guys up to the task?

2. Would moving them into a 10 gallon with cories and white clouds (I can raise the temp a bit for a short time) cause major issues?

3. Does all that moving back and forth between tanks make for a stressed fish?

Ottos aren't possible as the fish stores don't like to carry them unless I special order them and due to their high death rate I don't want to special order fish that might not live out the week.

Thanks

You've got one of the generally-recommended algae eaters in your quiver there... Flying foxes are commonly used to dispose of algae.

However, it sounds like you might be overstocked or underfiltered/undervac-ed if your plants cannot uptake the excess levels of nitrogenous waste in your tank, and if hair algae is forming as a result (oi, happens to us all... :oops: ). Do buy yourself a test kit to check your water parameters. My guess is that they are a little high, but not hugely so.

I'm guessing that the "medium" flying fox is about 3 inches in length? This will add a fair amount more biomass to your tank, so consider this when adding him/her... also, flying foxes are said to defend their territory quite aggressively in small spaces...

Of course the moving will stress the fish... :( Do it in one fell-swoop if you can. Where is the fox at the moment??

Well it will be a month before the tanks are close enough for the move. But I will be able to do it in a matter of minutes so doing it quickly won't be a problem. I will probably bag him and float the bag as there will be a bit of a temp difference.

I am only assuming the nitrates are too high because I don't add too much fertilizer and the wattage of light is 2.6 watts for 10 hours. So I have begun extra water changes for awhile trying to see if I can get it down. I will ask for the test kit for xmas.

The medium fox is about 3 inches. My tank has 5 white clouds and 3 cories at the moment, and the fox will be a temp measure to try and reuce the algae that is present. If it doesn't work out in a short period of time I will just move him back.

I have noticed that my platy only tank has only the tiniest amount of algae so I was figuring they might be a good source of alage remova, and I have 4 5 month olds that will be needing to move out of their home soon. I thought they might like a stop over til I can find them something better.

Yeah, I've heard that platies may reduce hair algae, but's it's a claim I've never had backed up for me...

Back
Top Bottom