replace pleco with kuhli loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I could also put you in good connection with someone who has recently bred bristlenose plecos seeing as they fail to reach such lengths.

Granted kuhlis won't replace a pleco as far as the algae-eating function is concerned, but I must protest the anti-kuhli sentement expressed here. Don't hate... I had a single kuhli in a community tank once, and he was by far the most interesting fish in there. Yes, he didn't come out that much, but when he did he did not display the clumsiness discussed above. His antics were fun for the whole family--someone would cry out, "Oooh, the loach is out," and we'd all gather around the fish tank and sing Christmas carols... OK, everything but the carols. I've heard, though that kuhlis are most interesting in larger groups--5 or 6, say some sources--and that they're much less prone to hiding this way. Loaches in general I am told are more interesting in groups. This is all kind of moot, since they're not likely to touch jmaglich's algae. But I have to defend the honor of a favorite fish of mine.

I currently have 3 khuli loaches (5 in my overall time of tanking). I LOVE THEM! They aren't visible all the time, but that makes them all the more fun when they come out. They have always had great personalities (if you ever want stories...I've got stories...LOL...) They do not eat algae, but I would get one just for the fun of having one. (don't get a black one though)

I like my khulis. I only see them at feeding time and they look like zippy worms. They move rather frantically and my kids get a kick out of watching them squirm out from under the driftwood. Otos will clean your glass. Khulis will search out leftovers from the substrate. They both have an advantage over plecos in that they aren't poop dispensers. I never had a dojo but they get pretty big compared to otos and khulis and I think you need to have more than one.

If you decide to go with the khuli loach you have to get more than one. They're more fun if you have at least 5-6.

I am sorry if my message came to you that way. I meant it to say that yes khulis are nice but I enjoy plecos much more. And yes khulis do do much better in schools. I had about 8 or 9 in my 110 gallon and they pretty much became diurnal while in there.

I love my black kuhli's. I had about 20 of them (originally got some for my dad as well). I put nearly half in my 46g tank, they disappeared within a minute. But now I see them nearly every time I look at the tank. 3-5 here, another bunch over there. Esp at feeding time and just after lights out. And they don't scamper away immediately when the lights come back on suddenly either.
If you go with kuhli's, definitely get a group of them. I believe they do feel more secure this way.
And I do love my dwarf bristlenose as well... Very active little guy.

Back
Top Bottom