Replaced some filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a marineland magnum 350 pro with bio wheels running on my 55 gal FW tank. It only came with charcoal for filter media so I decided to swap out half of it for biomax. I am fully prepared for a mini cycle but I am hoping it doesn't last too long. The only occupants in the tank right now are 5 blue giant danios. I also added a second filter to help with water movement today. It is a fluval U3 internal filter. After cleaning the tank I noticed that I really needed something to help with water movement and I'm broke so the second filter is bring used more as a power head than a filter. Plus I am going to need to set up a QT yank soon so hopefully by the time I save up enough money for new fish and new power head I will be able to take my established filter and stick it in the 30 gal tank I have for future qt. do you think my main tank would go into a mini cycle when I pull out the second filter? I have read several threads where people have two filters running on tanks and pull on for their qt tanks. My second question is if you have to use your qt tank for sick fish, how do you put the filter back onto your main tank without contaminating that one?

Can you experience a mini-cycle if you remove an extra filter? Its definitely possible but not likely probable as long as your main tank was fully cycled to begin with (and had all the necessary bacteria). As far as moving a qt tank filter back onto the main tank, it would be situation-dependant. If you are just qt a new fish who is healthy after his qt period, moving the filter back isnt a problem. If you are qt a sick fish, it would depend on what he is suffering from (bacterial, viral, or parasitic), how contagious the illness is, what meds you are using (some kill the bb), and how long the meds last (some will remain on surfaces for mths). Hope this helps!

Yes it does. I guess it's just situation dependent and I need to use my own judgement. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom