Replacement for Amquel Plus (PHEW)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digitalbabe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,
We've had several tanks for years and we recently changed the water in them. It seems like this Amquel stinks worse than it ever did before, and now our rooms have that putrid "rotten egg" smell (sulfur). Can anyone recommend a different chemical for water changes? I thought I read somewhere that they used to make Amquel (without the plus), and the "plus" adds the stink?

Anyway as funny as this is, we need to use something different-it took us all day to get rid of the smell in one room-LOL!

Thanks!
Sariena

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

I and a lot of members here use Prime from Seachem. It does have the sulfur smell, if you stick your nose in the bottle, but it certainly doesn't smell up the room. The older the bottle of Prime gets, the more it will smell, but it still won't smell up your room or your tank.

I used to use Amquel and decided to switch to Prime when Amquel+ came out. I'm glad I did - I'm very sensitive to smells and wouldn't be able to live with a smelly fish room!

Thanks! I wonder if that's what happened to my Amquel. I ordered a bunch as we have 6 tanks and are always dong water changes. Maybe it was old, or I am using an old bottle.Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom