Replacing substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lack of nitrate after removing debris (which as it breaks down creates ammonia which is then converted to nitrite and then nitrate) does not mean you removed beneficial bacteria. It means you removed a source of nitrate (which is the debris itself breaking down).

Yes, there are bacteria everywhere in the tank, it is in no way sterile. But EFFECTIVELY all of the nitrifying bacteria are in your filter, not on decor, glass, substrate, etc.

Just change out the whole substrate at once. It is stressful for the fish, doing it twice won't help. There are not enough bacteria on/in the substrate to worry about.

Gargoyle said:
Beneficial bacteria does in fact reside everywhere in the tank. The highest concentration is in the filter(s) however. So hanging onto some of the old substrate is a good idea of your filter media housing the bacteria could be placed in danger. But if you have a huge filter as most do, then putting the old filter on the new tank should result in an instant cycle. The old water doesn't need to be transferred over or anything as no bacteria will be there. But it will be on or in ANY solid object in the tank in various quantities. The substrate is no exception to this. Just take care to preserve the bacteria in the filter and you should be just fine. If your nervous about it at all just don't clean any decorations with anything but used tank water before placing them in the new tank. In the end just do what makes you the most comfortable.

I'm keeping the water not because of the bacteria but for the parameters. Less stress for the fish. After all the moving and stuff... I don't have any decorations to clean. I only have tons of plants, few stones and driftwood and I don't think I'll need to clean those.

Anyway, I have 3 filters. 2 marineland penguin 350s and a fluval fx5. What do you think? Great chance that I won't experience a mini-cycle?

Fishguy2727 said:
Just change out the whole substrate at once. It is stressful for the fish, doing it twice won't help. There are not enough bacteria on/in the substrate to worry about.

Yea, that's what I will do. I I detect any ammonia or nitrite, I will do daily PWC until it cycles again. It'll also be less stressful to me if I'll change all at once. Thanks.

With all of those filters I would say you stand a very good chance of not having any issues at all. :)

Fishguy2727 said:
But EFFECTIVELY all of the nitrifying bacteria are in your filter, not on decor, glass, substrate, etc.

I am not going to argue. :)

Gargoyle said:
With all of those filters I would say you stand a very good chance of not having any issues at all. :)

Cool. Thanks. Just to play it safe, I'll save some of the old subs, put it in a stocking or something then put it in the tank until I get a normal reading. If ever I experience a mini-cycle.

As you may already know, I am planning to put all the fish in a 55g. Is it ok if I just use the 2 marineland penguin 350s? I don't want to move around the FX5 thanks.

roydooms said:
As you may already know, I am planning to put all the fish in a 55g. Is it ok if I just use the 2 marineland penguin 350s? I don't want to move around the FX5 thanks.

Yes that should be fine for what you are doing. Just make sure the FX5 doesn't sit stagnant for to long as the bacteria in there needs oxygen to remain alive.

Gargoyle said:
Yes that should be fine for what you are doing. Just make sure the FX5 doesn't sit stagnant for to long as the bacteria in there needs oxygen to remain alive.

It'll probably take less than 2 hours to do. Is that ok?

roydooms said:
It'll probably take less than 2 hours to do. Is that ok?

It should be. If it takes longer I'd hook it up just to be sure. Stagnant filters are like time bombs that way. But a couple hours shouldn't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom