Rescue Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judyheitz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In the back of my mind when I set up my 55 gallon aquarium approximately eight months ago I thought I need a back up plan in case this aquarium should fail. I’m so glad that I was proactive and I urge everyone that has an aquarium where you have expensive fish and don’t wanna lose them to have a well-thought-out plan of what you will do if your aquarium fails. Yesterday my aquarium sprung a leak early in the morning which I discovered at 5:18 AM. I put my back up plan into action and saved all but two fish. Now my fish are safe and will be until I can set up a new aquarium. I was even able to save some of the media in my filter so that I will not have to start cycling a tank. I was able to save about 17 gallons of water from the leaking tank so that too will be helpful. So my main point here is have a back up plan!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice thinking! It's great that you saved so many of your fish.

I only have a 20g long and a 10g backup tank, but I purchased them on the same day because I knew it'd be suicide to not have an alternative. I figure the fish will be fine in half the space short term. Definitely better than being frantically tossed in a bucket.

This is a fortunate action of having the spare tank ready to go. There have been times when the emergency was mitigated by having an extra tank around here. For so many reasons. My last one was I caught a big fish eating smaller fish.

If you use an extra tank as a Quarantine tank (QT) It is also very beneficial.

I have huge filters now in comparison to when I started but would always keep an extra filter pad or bag of cycled media hidden behind a DW or Rock by the inflow or outflow just in case I happened upon new fish.

Glad you were able to save most of your fish.

Back
Top Bottom