resealing an old tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katiebug

Aquarium Advice Regular
okay, I saw a post on this subject a couple weeks ago but I can't find it on my phone, so I'll just ask....

I bought a 55 gallon off Craigslist and its been sitting under their porch for some unknown amount of time. the (omg huge brain fart!!!) molding? sealing? the stuff that lines the inside cracks... haha... well that stuff is peeling and I want to replace it. what stuff do I need to buy? thanks!

GE-1 silicon is cheep and works great. get it at the local hardware store.

I agree with bob, i used GE Silicone-1 Window and Door to reseel an old 29 gallon. when stripping away the old silicone use razor blades to scrape it away. Youtube has plenty of vids on doing it to. Good Luck and ask if you have any Q's!! :)

well I feel like I failed majorly. I got the tank all ready for the sealant, taped and everything. well I applied and it was all bumpy and ugly after I "smoothed" it with my finger. then because I read somewhere that you want to remove the tape before it dries or else the tape will be there forever, I did! well the **** sealant peeled with the tape!!
I don't know. I guess I have to remove all the sealant tomorrow and try again. >:/ I don't want to mess up again! I have a deadline

katiebug said:
well I feel like I failed majorly. I got the tank all ready for the sealant, taped and everything. well I applied and it was all bumpy and ugly after I "smoothed" it with my finger. then because I read somewhere that you want to remove the tape before it dries or else the tape will be there forever, I did! well the **** sealant peeled with the tape!!
I don't know. I guess I have to remove all the sealant tomorrow and try again. >:/ I don't want to mess up again! I have a deadline

We live and learn. Hit Walmart (or a local hardware store) and get a caulking tool. It's just a small rubber handheld bit with rounded corners, you could DIY one if you wanted. Each corner has a different radius for different sized caulk beads. Use it instead of your finger and things will go much cleaner. You do want to remove the tape before the silicon dries but you might want to wait a few minutes. Using the caulking tool you should be able to get thin enough layer at the tape edge that the tape will come off cleanly. The glass also needs to be ultra clean.

second times the charm! I think the hot weather made it dry too fast. i waited until evening but it was still pretty warm. might just move the tank inside. I'm definitely gonna buy that tool to smooth it.

katiebug said:
okay, I saw a post on this subject a couple weeks ago but I can't find it on my phone, so I'll just ask....

I bought a 55 gallon off Craigslist and its been sitting under their porch for some unknown amount of time. the (omg huge brain fart!!!) molding? sealing? the stuff that lines the inside cracks... haha... well that stuff is peeling and I want to replace it. what stuff do I need to buy? thanks!

Go to youtube and they have an awesome video on how to reseal one.

thanks guys! I had my friend do it, he has more patience than me lol. I tricked him over, thinking we're gonna hang out, and conned him into it lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120810_224121.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120810_224121.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 66
  • ForumRunner_20120810_224143.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120810_224143.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom