Resin Rocks etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catfish2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there!
New kid on the block with several years experience from many years ago when rocks were heavy! :)

Just wonderin, when using resin rocks etc is the void of water inside liable to stagnation or harbor nasties? Yeah they have small holes drilled to allow air out when placing but are they sufficient to allow a flow of tank water. What if fish/snails etc burrowed underneath and die causing a buildup of unseen nasty, wonder why my fish are dieing, stuff!

Would it be advisable to fill with something to avoid this, light weight pumice plaster for example?

Your thoughts please!

My hollow log in my small tank seems fine water stays clear

Attachments

• image-3996267875.jpg
    image-3996267875.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 61
  • image-3437888757.jpg
    image-3437888757.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 71
Yeah but your log has a reasonable through flow and presumably is roundish so has an underside but a large resin rock is just sitting on the gravel/sand or just under with no base!

This is what i'm talking about!

Attachments

• P1020914.jpg
    P1020914.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 68
  • P1020915.jpg
    P1020915.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 73
  • P1020916.jpg
    P1020916.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 70
I am in the midst of taking my hollow ornament out of one of my tanks as we speak for this very reason.... I believe there is a danger of water becoming stagnant under it since there is zero flow thru. You can try it....but I have had mine in one of my tanks for around a year and I am removing it and putting some more driftwood in its place that has a better flow

Yea that could be a problem you could put a hole at each end or take the ends off and have it as a kinda tunnel

Glad to have an experienced comment, you confirm my suspicions. Unless there's holes big enough for a flow and perhaps sight the filter intake near the hole to encourage a flow it could be a big source of hidden trouble that's what really bothers me, you can't see what's going on!

Glad to have an experienced comment, you confirm my suspicions. Unless there's holes big enough for a flow and perhaps sight the filter intake near the hole to encourage a flow it could be a big source of hidden trouble that's what really bothers me, you can't see what's going on!

Yes i made the mistake of buying resin coral rock from pets at home. it was hollow with little holes everytime i moved it so much rubbish was sent round my tank. I got solid ocean rock from dobbies and no problems.

Perhaps fill with expanding foam with a chunk of lead in, cut flat across the base would do the trick, what do you think?

I got hollow ocean rock from pets at home and it was terrible. Everytime i moved it so much scum was releasid into my tank so i gotsolidocean rock from dobbies it has been great

Cut the back out so the front still looks good but can still flow water and let fish hide

Yeah that's an idea. I was hoping to use this rock across the corner and heap up sand behind to form a raised level! So that would fill the gap if pushed up against it, good idea!!

Back
Top Bottom