Restarting 30 gal planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what kind of green algae did you have ? I had green spot algae and like i said lowering the light period down to 6 hours a day cleaned it up within 2-3 weeks.. Everyone kept saying phosphates and yada for me too, but phosphates are something plants need..

Honestly, I don't know what type. It was puffy and fibrous. It was mostly on the plants, not so much on glass or rocks. When the water level would go down to the point where some algae covered leaves were at the surface of the water, it looked kind of like pond scum.

The algae is mostly gone, but I will lower the photoperiod for a couple weeks just to make sure it's all gone.

Carefulll "flooding" your tank with ferts.. Ferts can have a negative effect on fish.. Ive lost fish before when dosing ferts.. Killed a betta using them, and discus react badly to full doses and so do other fish i have.. So i only use 1/4 to half doses now

Just saw this part. I probably won't use full doses then. I have been pretty lax about ferts in the last year of having the tank, and the plants have done fine, I just figure maybe being more stringent about the ferts might help the plants more. I think I'll just stick to flourish and root tabs for now, maybe I'll try adding additional phosphates, maybe not.

I use flourish and API leaf zone, plants love pottasium, not a fan of root tabs ive used em before and they just clouded up my water column but i probly didnt use them right

I use flourish and API leaf zone, plants love pottasium, not a fan of root tabs ive used em before and they just clouded up my water column but i probly didnt use them right

Yeah I was thinking of leaf zone per Fresh's suggestion. I've heard of root tabs clouding water, but it's never been an issue for me.

Zero phosphate in a planted tank? That might be fine in a non-planted tank. Phosphate is an essential nutrient for plant growth (TPT: PPS Pro Phosphate Levels ).
I had a terrible time with GSA when the phosphate levels were below 2-3 ppm. I'm using PPS Pro. I altered the mix to triple the amount of phosphate which resulted in 5 ppm and the GSA disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Even if the test reads 0 ppm it is still there, and plenty for plants. Don't worry. All you need to get algae is 0.03 ppm. There are other factors like organics and light. It is interesting your results with the GSA. There is mounting evidence that the ratio of N to P is also responsible. If the ratio gets out of wack then GSA comes. Some folks suggest a 5 to 1 ratio. It seems low P can cause GSA and Low N can cause Cyano Bacteria. No P or N would cause no algae but also no plants :) I go for 1-2 ppm Nitrates and "undetectable" on most phosphate tests but now a have a phosphate tester that goes down to PPB :) Let the investigation begin :)

Even if the test reads 0 ppm it is still there, and plenty for plants. Don't worry. All you need to get algae is 0.03 ppm. There are other factors like organics and light. It is interesting your results with the GSA. There is mounting evidence that the ratio of N to P is also responsible. If the ratio gets out of wack then GSA comes. Some folks suggest a 5 to 1 ratio. It seems low P can cause GSA and Low N can cause Cyano Bacteria. No P or N would cause no algae but also no plants :) I go for 1-2 ppm Nitrates and "undetectable" on most phosphate tests but now a have a phosphate tester that goes down to PPB :) Let the investigation begin :)

You start off by stating this: "Even if the test reads 0 ppm it is still there, and plenty for plants. Don't worry." and later state this: "No P or N would cause no algae but also no plants". I understand the part about the lack of sensitivity for the liquid based test when level is that low, but it's the "plenty for plants" and "no plants" part I don't understand. Please explain.
What makes my results with GSA interesting? It's definitely not unique. Other members on this forum with planted tanks will tell you the same thing: GSA present, increased the PO4, GSA went away. However, lighting plays an important role in this. I have a planted shrimp tank and I do not dose phosphate. It comes in naturally through their food. But I don't have outbreaks of GSA or other algae because the lighting is at the low end of medium.

You start off by stating this: "Even if the test reads 0 ppm it is still there, and plenty for plants. Don't worry." and later state this: "No P or N would cause no algae but also no plants". I understand the part about the lack of sensitivity for the liquid based test when level is that low, but it's the "plenty for plants" and "no plants" part I don't understand. Please explain.
What makes my results with GSA interesting? It's definitely not unique. Other members on this forum with planted tanks will tell you the same thing: GSA present, increased the PO4, GSA went away. However, lighting plays an important role in this. I have a planted shrimp tank and I do not dose phosphate. It comes in naturally through their food. But I don't have outbreaks of GSA or other algae because the lighting is at the low end of medium.

When I say "Even if the test reads 0ppm there is still plenty there" I mean that there is a level there that the test cannot detect but still enough for plants. I assume there is still N there as well. When I say "No N and No P means no algae or plants" I mean actually none. Actually 0ppm. I experimented with carbon dosing and GFO to get a ULN fish only system in the past. I say that the results are interesting because conventional logic promoted by people such as Julian Sprung in his book on Algae promotes the idea of phosphate removal for green hair algae. I often promote that myself because most aquarists are completely ignorant of phosphate and usually have very high levels. However, there are also many people now saying that maintaining a proper N to P ratio in a planted tank gets the same result. In your case, you added some P to restore the ratio. I find that interesting. Also...In a planted tank there is another player which is studied very little called Aleopathy. Basically chemical warfare done by the plants. Sometimes against Algae. Because I never let my phosphate stay to high, I never get most of the green algae but I have a nice ULR Hanna Phosphate checker now and I hope to be able to collect samples of various algae infested systems and try to figure out the conditions that make specific algae thrive someday :) Thanks for all your input :)

Update: I found this http://buddendo.home.xs4all.nl/aquarium/redfield_eng.htm

It supports your method will work.

Also, A very well regarded Aquarist and Chemist named Randy Holmes Farley says
"I agree. Cyanobacteria can get nutrients in ways that green algae cannot. Specifically, cyano can fix nitrogen from the air, so doesn't necessarily require ammonia/nitrite/nitrate the way green algae does.

Cyanobacteria can also take up and metabolize organics more easily than green algae, and so can thrive in organic rich waters that have little impact on green algae. "

It is regarding salt water but the principle is the same.

Link is here :
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1340469

Which supports phosphate is a better way to control algae then nitrate, although both can be used with the green types of algae. In your case if you had lowered N instead of raising P you would have most likely got the same result. I should mention that any N or P in the water column is just extra that the plants did not take up. At least not yet :) Rates of going in and coming out play a role. I prefer a well lit tank so I choose not to use low light as a weapon.

Hey, you think I could add CPDs to that stock list? Or would that be too much?

It will most likely be safe. The question is will it produce too many nutrients and cause algae. Even if it does there are things you can do to take care of that so do not worry too much.

Hey, you think I could add CPDs to that stock list? Or would that be too much?

Would not be too much bio load wise, but considering their size (1/2"-1") they may become someone's snack. IMO they are best as species only or with other nano fish.

Sorry what are CPDs?

It will most likely be safe if it's another peaceful fish. The question is will it produce too many nutrients and cause algae. Even if it does there are things you can do to take care of that so do not worry too much.

CPDs are celestial pearl danios. They're a peaceful fish.

Would not be too much bio load wise, but considering their size (1/2"-1") they may become someone's snack. IMO they are best as species only or with other nano fish.

Yeah, I thought about that possible conflict with the gourami. I guess I'll have to get another tank, lol. I need to stop....

Get yourself some Siamese Algae eaters... Not chinese algae eaters.. Siamese.. make sure they are true siamese ones.. You will be able to tell by the black stripe which will go through the whole body including the tail.. If it doesnt they arent true siamese algae eaters.

I have 4 in my 92G tank, because it was exploding with this brown hair lonng algae i couldnt stop it and i found out it was because of the floramax original substrate as other ppl had the same issue... And within like 2-3 days my tank once covered in it was spotless even the roots exposed in the water were licked clean..

They eat all kinds of hair algae.. and frankly i have never had to worry about black beard, green hair algae, brown hair algae since i got them

Back
Top Bottom