Restocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrskater1999

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i am considering getting rid of my african cichlids and restocking my tank. I was thinking about tiger barbs. I will look at my LFS for other ideas but does anyone have anything that would be cool in a 26 gallon? Thanks

I have 7 tiger barbs in a 55 gallon and they are great schoolers and vey fun fish to watch. I would keep them in a group of at least 5 for your tank.

Long finned fish are a huge problem because the tiger barbs will nip them. I would suggest something small and solitary like a bristlenose pleco but that would be about all you have room for because the five barbs equal 15in of fish and the bn is 4-5 in but others might have some ideas of more solitary species

jackwagon said:
Long finned fish are a huge problem because the tiger barbs will nip them. I would suggest something small and solitary like a bristlenose pleco but that would be about all you have room for because the five barbs equal 15in of fish and the bn is 4-5 in but others might have some ideas of more solitary species

The one inch per gal rule doesn't work
For example, would you have a 2 inch Oscar, 2 inch common pleco,3 inch jack dempsey, and three 1 inch tiger barbs in a 10 gallons aquarium?
Or a 2 inch koi, 1 inch tiger barb, 10 inch Oscar, 5 inch common pleco,and three inch common goldfish in a 20?
I don't think so
You could have the fish/ amounts mentioned above plus a nice centerpiece like 2 green tiger barbs or albino Barbs as they school together IMO

Obviously it wouldn't work because oscars and the other fish you listed get huge and some are aggressive but the tiger barbs max out at 3 In and the bn maxes out at 4-5 in so that leaves enough room for those fish to coexist.

jackwagon said:
Obviously it wouldn't work because oscars and the other fish you listed get huge and some are aggressive but the tiger barbs max out at 3 In and the bn maxes out at 4-5 in so that leaves enough room

Tigers are semi aggressive

Yes they are but the larger the group you have the less aggressive they are towards other fish. A group of 5 will be good as that is the minimum they should be kept in. As long as you don't add anymore fish other than the bn he will be good

What he's trying to say is it doesn't always work because not all fish are compatible because of issues like aggression, diet, or other things. For instance you can't keep 2 neon tetras in a 2 gallon tank because they need groups and need more room. Also you can't keep two 5 inch fish in a 10. There are always more factors than you see just by inches. A good example would be that I have 13 inches in my 10 (a beta, 9embertetras, and an otto) but consider it stocked right whereas 2 yellow labs (4 inches) jn the same tank wouldn't work because of aggression/size and 5 black skirt tetras wouldn't work because they need more room than a 10 gallon offers.

I agree I was just trying to say I would think the tiger barb setup IMO.

Could i do a communty tank with some cherry barbs, some tetras and others?

Sure, how about a school of the barbs, a school of neons, a dwarf gourami for a centerpiece, and either some shrimp (assuming you have live plants) or corries for the bottom?

Maxkolbe said:
Sure, how about a school of the barbs, a school of neons, a dwarf gourami for a centerpiece, and either some shrimp (assuming you have live plants) or corries for the bottom?

I want to do a school of the barbs, but a no on the neons because they are so common, idk about the gourami, and maybe some shrimp. Is there any other kind of tetras i could do? I dont wanna do cardinals or any other kind of neons. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom