Restocking community 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gemach7

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I lost my first stock to old age today, amano shrimp. And realised I have a couple species that have about the same life span. And wondering what species to keep instead, will probably add more amano shrimp though.

Current stock
School of harlequin rasboras( one species approaching old age)
Fancy guppies(the other)
School of sterba's corrys
Bolivian ram male
2 clown plecos
And now 3 ammano shrimp :(

My thoughts were perhaps to add a few more diamond tetras.

And maybe a school of more colourful tetras or a second center piece fish preferably from South America.

Tank is lightly planted 5 sword plants, Anubis and Java fern on driftwood. Ph is 6.5 KH 4 temp around 76-79 depending on time of day.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439310150.840541.jpg
Picture of current setup

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi.
I tend to prefer to keep all my fish from the same geographical area and would not have kept guppies. Your Ph and temp would probably suit cardinals as well as diamond tetras, I keep both and they school together. Ideally about 10 to 15 of each. I keep a real mixed bag of tetras and they all seem to get on well. Your tank is lightly planted, and this may be the way you want to keep it, but tetras really like heavily planted tanks. Actually, I think most South American fish like a lot of plants and I have a theory that more planting equals more stability.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439327188.463756.jpg
I will admit that my plants do sometime take over from the fish, but the fish seem to like it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hi.
I tend to prefer to keep all my fish from the same geographical area and would not have kept guppies. Your Ph and temp would probably suit cardinals as well as diamond tetras, I keep both and they school together. Ideally about 10 to 15 of each. I keep a real mixed bag of tetras and they all seem to get on well. Your tank is lightly planted, and this may be the way you want to keep it, but tetras really like heavily planted tanks. Actually, I think most South American fish like a lot of plants and I have a theory that more planting equals more stability.
View attachment 276406
I will admit that my plants do sometime take over from the fish, but the fish seem to like it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The guppies and rasboras were a transplant from a previous tank, I personally don't care for guppies but wasn't going to cull them to get the tank I wanted.

The plants are finally starting to grow back after a light failure and kept them near death for awhile till I added another one. May add some from my pond to the tank just need to quarantine them first for awhile.

Was thinking cardinals as a possibility do have time for my decision :)

Back
Top Bottom