Restocking my 46 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Over the past couple of months I lost quite a bit of the fish in my 46 gallon aquarium. Including my original pair of Dwarf Gouramis. I was hoping I could save them, but unforunately my efforts were for nothing. While I would take all of my original fish back in a heart beat if I was given a chance, I know that's impossible so I'm faced with restocking now. I don't know what exactly killed them, but it's been about a month now since my last death so I think I'm safe to start stocking again. Here's what I still have...

(2) Bolivian Rams
(2) Zebra Danios
(1) Long Fin Leopard Danio
(2) Cherry Barbs
(2) Julii Corys
(1) Clown Pleco

I'm thinking of going with Gouramis again as the 'main' fish. This time I'd like to get some Pearl and/or Gold. My question is how many can I get for a 46 gallon while being sure everyone has enough room and is happy and healthy? Should I just get a pair of Pearls and that's it or can I get a mix?

While it doesn't work all the time for sure, I successfully kept a trio of pearl gourami's with a trio of opalines for 9 months. I would advise caution as you will have to be prepared to return the fish if it doesn't work out. I don't think getting 6 gourami's will work in a 46 but a pair of each might work.

I had three male dwarf gouramis in a 42 gallon, they chased each other to the point I had to take two back to the LFS. My one DG is now a completely different fish, active and colorful.

What about a pair of angelfish?

Thanks Zagz - I wasn't planning on any Oplaine because I have one at home and she thinks she rules the tank! I've learned that Opalines tend to be the more aggressive / dominant of the bigger Gouramis so I decided not to go that route. I really want Pearls, but would like to add more besides Pearls. Maybe I'll try a pair of each as you suggested and see how it goes. I'm sure I'll be able to bring them back to the store if it doesn't work out.

ksfishguy - Thanks for the suggestion. I did just have a pair of Dwarf Gouramis (they were the original fish that started the cycle!), but I'd like to go with the larger Gouramis this time around. As you can tell by my name, I love Gouramis so I'd like to stick with them. I tried Angles, but it didn't work out.

Back
Top Bottom