Restocking! Need your advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterflyjenni

Aquarium Advice Regular
Will be rehoming some fish and getting some others and would like your opinion. I have a 29 gallon aquarium and these were my thoughts on stocking.

3 platy's
4 corys
6 bloodfin tetras
6 black phantom tetras
2 dwarf guorami
2 blue german rams

Would this be overstocked? If so what would you recommend? The only for sure's are the platy's and cory's because I already have them and don't plan on rehoming. All others will be future purchases.

I would leave out the dwarf gourami- most of the specimens you can get at the LFS are rather sickly, and they tend to be aggressive toward one another. The rest of the list looks fine. :)

severum mama said:
I would leave out the dwarf gourami- most of the specimens you can get at the LFS are rather sickly, and they tend to be aggressive toward one another. The rest of the list looks fine. :)

I see. Thanks for the advice :)

If you leave the gourami's out, you could up the cory's to 6. They are neat to watch in groups

steez said:
If you leave the gourami's out, you could up the cory's to 6. They are neat to watch in groups

If I got 2 more of a different kind would that be ok? Will they still hang out together?

Probably, but they will be happier as one species in a larger group. JMO.

I agree about the DG. If you wanted to try the species, I would just recommend 1. Also, as a note, do you know about the gender ratios recommended for black phantoms?
I have a mixed school of corys and they do well, but they seem to prefer other corys of similar size/markings. Since you do not have space for a huge group of them, I would suggest just getting one species of cory. Up to you though.

I dont recommend DG either.... From experience I picked the healthiest fish I saw at the pet store, and he was very active for the first month and became sickly. I was actually pretty upset because he was the coolest fish in my tank he was so happy swimming around everywhere showing off and he wasnt agressive at all. I just lost him!!! I wish DGs werent so sickly! read up on dg diease if your interested :[

No I do not know about the sex ratios. What are they?
Male bpt will display for each other and can get into minor scraps, so I recommend keeping gender ratios like livebearers. 1m:2-3f. I have heard very mixed reviews about bpt, but generall they are good community dwellers. If you are getting 6, I would just recommend 1-2 males to avoid run ins. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Male bpt will display for each other and can get into minor scraps, so I recommend keeping gender ratios like livebearers. 1m:2-3f. I have heard very mixed reviews about bpt, but generall they are good community dwellers. If you are getting 6, I would just recommend 1-2 males to avoid run ins. :)

Oh ok, good to know. I just took my cherry barbs back to the store and got the last 3 BFT they had. 1 male and 2 females, doin good so far I guess :)

Oh ok, good to know. I just took my cherry barbs back to the store and got the last 3 BFT they had. 1 male and 2 females, doin good so far I guess :)
No prob. It sounds like you are off to a good start! I like the black phantoms, I think they are pretty and I like that they still smaller than many of the other diamond shaped tetras out there. :)

Back
Top Bottom