Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2015, 06:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Restricted Fishes

Hi, since i live in Indonesia, very few fishes are not illegal. So 75% of estimation that my fishes store are complete with fishes!

I wonder what fish are restricted or Illegal in your country and why? Cuz one of the reason might be because they are dangerous or enormous? I think only few fishes in the world are restricted in your petstore but just tell me :]

(No red belly piranha or pacu pls, ik some of them are illegal)

Old 09-11-2015, 06:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Most fish I can think of that are "illegal" are this because they are a danger to our environment .
Unfortunately people have purchased and released fish that have no place in our natural settings.
We have been overrun by snakeheads as an example(channa sp.) so they are no longer allowed to sold in pet stores.

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah they're mostly illegal if they can survive the climate. "Invasive species" they call the non-native fish. They want to keep the natural floura and fauna and not unbalance the ecosystem...
But in California I think your only allowed like 1 type of arowana

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Piranhas just like switchblade knives are illegal in NY because of irrational fears brought on by movies made in the 80's. Some Mafia movie used piranhas to dispose of bodies. They also have horror movies about RBP's. Just plain ridiculous

The invasive species list I completely understand and agree with.

Actually most fish who grow to large are not illegal. I could go buy a Pacu, Shovel nose catfish, red tail cat, and Florida gar right now and tell them I am putting it in my 30 gallon. Its really sad.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

In our state of Maine they have very restrictive rules about what kinds of fish you can purchase. Someone else on this forum posted this list once. All of my favorite fish are illegal there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
In our state of Maine they have very restrictive rules about what kinds of fish you can purchase. Someone else on this forum posted this list once. All of my favorite fish are illegal there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Aren't Shellie's banned there?

Sent via echolocation
Old 09-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
We have been overrun by snakeheads as an example(channa sp.) so they are no longer allowed to sold in pet stores.
I'm sure you know this, but to avoid any future questions on it; snakeheads are illegal to acquire, sell, transport over state lines, or own without a permit. There are NO permits for private owners. Permits are issued to institutions only.**This is federal law from the Lacey Act.

Here is a pretty decent list of illegal fish by state.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...-lists.191893/

Jesse
Old 09-11-2015, 03:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleyjk View Post
I'm sure you know this, but to avoid any future questions on it; snakeheads are illegal to acquire, sell, transport over state lines, or own without a permit. There are NO permits for private owners. Permits are issued to institutions only.**This is federal law from the Lacey Act.

Here is a pretty decent list of illegal fish by state.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...-lists.191893/

Jesse

I believe snakeheads are just outright banned in all the US due to the invasive factor.

But yes as said, many of the "illegal" species are solely the invasive species and some non natives like oscars (supposedly prominent in Florida now) that disrupt the natural ecosystems.

Caleb
Old 09-11-2015, 04:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Plants are far more restricted than fish. Offhandedly, i cant think of any fish that are illegal to get here in Michigan. However, keeping game fish such as bass, pike, walleye, etc are illegal to own when they are out of season or if you dont have a fishing license
Old 09-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Plants are far more restricted than fish. Offhandedly, i cant think of any fish that are illegal to get here in Michigan. However, keeping game fish such as bass, pike, walleye, etc are illegal to own when they are out of season or if you dont have a fishing license
Here's the Michigan post from my above link if your curious. Nothing surprising.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/posts/2448091/

Jesse

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com