Restricted Fishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishesInTank

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, since i live in Indonesia, very few fishes are not illegal. So 75% of estimation that my fishes store are complete with fishes!

I wonder what fish are restricted or Illegal in your country and why? Cuz one of the reason might be because they are dangerous or enormous? I think only few fishes in the world are restricted in your petstore but just tell me :]

(No red belly piranha or pacu pls, ik some of them are illegal)

Most fish I can think of that are "illegal" are this because they are a danger to our environment .
Unfortunately people have purchased and released fish that have no place in our natural settings.
We have been overrun by snakeheads as an example(channa sp.) so they are no longer allowed to sold in pet stores.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah they're mostly illegal if they can survive the climate. "Invasive species" they call the non-native fish. They want to keep the natural floura and fauna and not unbalance the ecosystem...
But in California I think your only allowed like 1 type of arowana

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Piranhas just like switchblade knives are illegal in NY because of irrational fears brought on by movies made in the 80's. Some Mafia movie used piranhas to dispose of bodies. They also have horror movies about RBP's. Just plain ridiculous

The invasive species list I completely understand and agree with.

Actually most fish who grow to large are not illegal. I could go buy a Pacu, Shovel nose catfish, red tail cat, and Florida gar right now and tell them I am putting it in my 30 gallon. Its really sad.

In our state of Maine they have very restrictive rules about what kinds of fish you can purchase. Someone else on this forum posted this list once. All of my favorite fish are illegal there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In our state of Maine they have very restrictive rules about what kinds of fish you can purchase. Someone else on this forum posted this list once. All of my favorite fish are illegal there.

Aren't Shellie's banned there?

Sent via echolocation

We have been overrun by snakeheads as an example(channa sp.) so they are no longer allowed to sold in pet stores.

I'm sure you know this, but to avoid any future questions on it; snakeheads are illegal to acquire, sell, transport over state lines, or own without a permit. There are NO permits for private owners. Permits are issued to institutions only.**This is federal law from the Lacey Act.

Here is a pretty decent list of illegal fish by state.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/restricted-species-lists.191893/

Jesse

I'm sure you know this, but to avoid any future questions on it; snakeheads are illegal to acquire, sell, transport over state lines, or own without a permit. There are NO permits for private owners. Permits are issued to institutions only.**This is federal law from the Lacey Act.

Here is a pretty decent list of illegal fish by state.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/restricted-species-lists.191893/

Jesse

I believe snakeheads are just outright banned in all the US due to the invasive factor.

But yes as said, many of the "illegal" species are solely the invasive species and some non natives like oscars (supposedly prominent in Florida now) that disrupt the natural ecosystems.

Caleb

Plants are far more restricted than fish. Offhandedly, i cant think of any fish that are illegal to get here in Michigan. However, keeping game fish such as bass, pike, walleye, etc are illegal to own when they are out of season or if you dont have a fishing license

Plants are far more restricted than fish. Offhandedly, i cant think of any fish that are illegal to get here in Michigan. However, keeping game fish such as bass, pike, walleye, etc are illegal to own when they are out of season or if you dont have a fishing license

Here's the Michigan post from my above link if your curious. Nothing surprising.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/posts/2448091/

Jesse

Hmm, I wonder why Eurasia ruffe, round goby and tubenose goby are not on the list for Michigan

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am SOOOOO happy i live in Minnesota. For once our blazing summers and opposite-of-the-place-that-terrible-people-go-to-after-they-die temperatures do us a favor!

And them there is Florida. I cry for the aquarists down there lol.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

I am SOOOOO happy i live in Minnesota. For once our blazing summers and opposite-of-the-place-that-terrible-people-go-to-after-they-die temperatures do us a favor!

And them there is Florida. I cry for the aquarists down there lol.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Don't cry for us Argentina......... :lol:
Yes, we have a rather extensive list of fish that don't belong here but have a well established presence. It makes fishing a bit interesting when you have no idea what it is that's taking your worm.:eek: Since our climate is hospitable and rarely kills off the intruders seasonally, a lot of fish are now illegal to have in FL. But remember, Miami used to be the main hub of S. American fish so some of the fish were not necessarily released just by unwitting hobbyists. Confiscated shipments needed someplace to go. Containment was not always perfect. :whistle:

Don't cry for us Argentina......... :lol:
Yes, we have a rather extensive list of fish that don't belong here but have a well established presence. It makes fishing a bit interesting when you have no idea what it is that's taking your worm.:eek: Since our climate is hospitable and rarely kills off the intruders seasonally, a lot of fish are now illegal to have in FL. But remember, Miami used to be the main hub of S. American fish so some of the fish were not necessarily released just by unwitting hobbyists. Confiscated shipments needed someplace to go. Containment was not always perfect. :whistle:

Hurricanes+fish farms=oops too

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Same for a lot of snakes/lizards. The climate makes it easy to house/store them as pets/research.

The climate also makes it easy for big 'ol storms.

1+2=invasive species!

My state is much more restrictive on terrestrial animals and birds than fish. Only real restrictions in my state are on game species.
I do require a permit for nearly any species of reptile or amphibian I keep.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh wow. My state goes 100° in the summer and -40° sometimes in winter, so any invasive species on water would have to be really adaptable, but on land its nearly impossible for any animal that requires stable temps to live. I guess thats good, allows me to have more pets :)

And the coyotes eat everything, control the population of the invasives lol. They ate my neighbors dog...

So yeah, i feel sorry for people down in Florida and stuff...

This isn't fish but venomous snakes are legal to own in Indiana right now.

Yeah snakes seem to be a popular thing to ban right now. I think that in a lot of places its illegal for them to cross state borders?

Back
Top Bottom