Results of Keeping Mollies without Salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm starting a new 38 gallon freshwater tank and I plan to have gold dust mollies. The tank is still cycling with three red wag platies.

I wasn't planning to add any salt, but I was wondering what might happen to the mollies if I don't add salt? Will they have a higher mortality rate or anything dangerous like that? Or can I just keep them in 100% freshwater?

It's been years since I kept mollies but I never added salt to the planted community tanks they were in. I know there is alot of conflicting points of view on salt vs no salt. I never did salt, but that was me. One thing I can tell you is molly's do better in hard water.

I've had them in both and the ones in the brackish tank seemed to do better they are less disease prone in brackish IMO but they do fine in freshwater aswell.

I have 3 Mollys in freshwater tank. I have never used salt. Actually I had four, but one died after it due to pregnancy issues :p. I have a tank full of Molly fry too where too I haven't used any salt.

Basically I never knew they needed salt till now :)

So they will be fine if I don't use salt? My water is normally pretty hard, naturally around 7.6 so I don't think I'll have to play with it.

Back
Top Bottom