Reverse Osmosis RO+DI purchase.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

55ReefGuy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Wondering if anyone has an educated opinion to give me on this unit, or the technology in general.

I have a well, and although I have a water softener and whole house sediment filter, I don't feel comfortable drinking it. It's crystal clear and not traces of nitrites/nitrates.

Anyhow I purchased this unit at a remarkable price. 3000 positive feedbacks, 0 negative enticed me to look further in this particular seller. I received replies within 10 minutes of sending the email. It should be shipped today.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2381216461&category=20684

Any info appreciated. The filters are easily available to purchase at a local home depot. Membrane is available online, haven't checked elsewhere.

Thanks
Eric

here's what I know

First, I'm not real great with aquariums but am learning. I recently bought a RO+DI from the exact same place. Just like yours but without the water storage tank. RO+DI is as close to distilled water as you can get. RO+DI will take almost everything out of your water. This is good and bad. Fish cannot live in pure water. They need some of the minerals and things - just not too much. I have hard water with a PH of about 8.2 We haven't had much luck with fish since we moved here. So I wanted to see if we could fix it.

Here's what my plans are: I have a water test kit which reads 6 or so different water conditions. I've been told to carefully monitor these conditions and look for trends or patterns. I've also been told that fluctuating conditions can be worse than bad conditions. So I plan to slowly add more and more RO+DI water to the aquarium to lower both the PH and hardness.

After getting conditions where I want them, I plan to use RO+DI water to replace evaporation, and half RO and half tap water for water changes.

I wish I could help more but this is all I know. In a few months I hope to know more, but you probably will by then too. I'm curious to hear about what you think of yours.

If I missed the boat and you only plan on drinking the RO+DI water, Sorry. Whatever the case - good luck.

55ReefGuy,

Did you mean to post this in FW?

I have talked to many people that are happy with AquaSafeCanada's RO/DI filters.

hashbaz,
lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!!

RO+DI is as close to distilled water as you can get.

RO/DI water is more pure than distilled water ;) The distilling process will take some of the lighter weight elemnts up with the steam and also pick up elements from the piping, the RO and DI remove dissolved solids and in most cases the TDS after the DI is 0 or 1.

Thanks for the reply.

Yep this is in the right place. The reef aquarium is coming soon, but I want to get in the routine and understand through practice what I'll be jumping in, not to mention the $$$.

So far I have a 60 gallon and 36 gallon FW aquariums for over one year now, with no casualties, apart from a sick pleco right now.

One step at a time!

Thanks
Eric

Back
Top Bottom