Ridiculously high ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank ph is...
Around 7.6! It's not awful but I want a SA- low ph- type tank. Besides more wood (probably getting more this weekend) what should I do?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's not that high. Unless you are keeping something really sensitive, most species you'll want to keep will do fine.

I want to breed my cories and rams and the ph comes off tap at about 8.7.

What is your KH?

You should understand the KH of your tap water before trying to lower pH.

I don't know

I don't know
You should test it along with your hardness. If your tap water is hard and alkaline than anything you do make it soft and acidic is likely going to be an exercise in frustration. You will have to either use RO water or distilled.

If those values are more moderate than natural acids such as the tannins in the driftwood are a good solution. But you need to test to know for sure. Otherwise you could end up in situation where pH is fluctuating all over the place.

Whenever you are trying to manage a soft, acidic tank you need to be prepared to test for KH.

I keep sa/CA's in 8.2 with no problems

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I keep sa/CA's in 8.2 with no problems
CA fish come from hard alkaline water.

With SA fish it will depend which ones are in question. In many cases water hardness/TDS will matter more than pH.

I should add that I don't keep anything super sensitive

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can use peat to lower the PH. It is that brown stuff they add to potting soil and make peat pots out of. Most stores that carry garden stuff have it. That is what others who want a low PH use. My water stays around 7.6 even with tons of driftwood in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom