Right way to acclimate a fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
When introducing a new fish in a tank, what is best way to do it?

For the more hardier fish, you can do the float the bag method. Its were you let the bag sit for 10 mins in the water and every 10 minutes add one measuring cup of water from your tank to the bag.

For the more sensitive fish, The drip acclimation is the best way to do it. See if your local fish store has any for sale.

My LFS says to just float the bag for 10-15mins to allow the water temperature in the LFS bag to become closer to the temp in your tank to keep the fish from experiencing temperature shock. I take it one step further then that. When I get a new fish, I bring it home. Take the rubber band off the top and stick the bag in my tank...close my lid with the top of the bag hanging out so that the bag will stay put. I let it float for 15min and then add some tank water to the LFS water in the bag and let it sit for another 15minutes. I might do this a couple times depending on the size/sensitiviy of the fish. This allows the fish to slowly become used to the differences in your tank water from the water they were in at the LFS. Remember to research any fish you buy before your purchase them to make sure they will do well in your PH/water hardness level.

All you need to know about Acclimation

Drip acclimation really isn't that difficult to do and the materials you need for it are cheap and easy to find. If any of the LFS water makes it into your tank there's always a risk of something in that water doing something bad to your tank, whether that is a parasite or a chemical.

Regardless of the circumstances, I would always recommend using drip acclimation.

Thanks Alisha! I've been taking my time with the whole process because if you don't have patience, you'll lose a lot of money and livestock.

All you need to know about Acclimation

Drip acclimation really isn't that difficult to do and the materials you need for it are cheap and easy to find. If any of the LFS water makes it into your tank there's always a risk of something in that water doing something bad to your tank, whether that is a parasite or a chemical.

Regardless of the circumstances, I would always recommend using drip acclimation.

+1 on the not putting the LFS water in your tank. If you decide to do drip acclimation or just add small amounts of water to your bag over a period of time like I do, don't dump the water into your tank. I always net the fish out of the LFS bag before I put them in my tank. Never just dump the water in.

Here's another link you might want to check out:
Acclimating Tropical Fish to Your Fish Tank

Coleallensmom said:
+1 on the not putting the LFS water in your tank. If you decide to do drip acclimation or just add small amounts of water to your bag over a period of time like I do, don't dump the water into your tank. I always net the fish out of the LFS bag before I put them in my tank. Never just dump the water in.

Is it going to damage/hurt the fish when you use a net? e.g. arowana: are they going to lose some scales?

The nets are fine, that's their sole purpose.

I used a cup and scooped out my fish after the water from both the fish shop and my tank were mixed (very little foreign water was in it, so not enough to effect the tank. That is after I used the drip acclimation method.

uscamaro said:
The nets are fine, that's their sole purpose.

I used a cup and scooped out my fish after the water from both the fish shop and my tank were mixed (very little foreign water was in it, so not enough to effect the tank. That is after I used the drip acclimation method.

I see. Great idea on tying a knot to control the drip instead of buying the thing(regulator?) to control the drip. :thumbs: :)

Coleallensmom said:

Is it so that you won't transfer any disease or parasite that is in the LFS water?

My LFS is on the same water supply. I normally test both waters to make sure and just float to avoid temp shock. pH is normally very close. I'd do drip method but have never needed to. I don't put their water in my tank but that's not because of any issues which might arise, I just always go from bag to nets to tank.

Back
Top Bottom