Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2017, 10:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Rinsing filter media

The other day I was rinsing out one of my filter sponges to get the large gunk out and it occurred to me that I had never questioned doing this in tank water just considered it an unbreakable rule but now I'm wondering why I do this. I am on a well and have never conditioned my water for a water change or setting up a new tank so why am I rinsing out my sponges in dirty water? Will rinsing them in MY ***tap*** water kill off all my bb or will I be fine???

Old 11-30-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by earhtmother View Post
The other day I was rinsing out one of my filter sponges to get the large gunk out and it occurred to me that I had never questioned doing this in tank water just considered it an unbreakable rule but now I'm wondering why I do this. I am on a well and have never conditioned my water for a water change or setting up a new tank so why am I rinsing out my sponges in dirty water? Will rinsing them in MY ***tap*** water kill off all my bb or will I be fine???

Your tap water will definitely kill a lot of your bb due to temperature shock and a sudden immediate change in water parameters. Rinsing in a bucket of tank water will kill off some, but a lot less than rinsing under a tap, even if tap is safe to ad directly into the tank.

Most people rinse in a bucket of tank water. Just like the old saying goes, "Why fix something that isn't broke?"

Tags
filter, filter media, media

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com