RIP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
earlier today my girlfriend pointed out that one of my cories wasnt looking the best. ten minutes ago I did my final glance at the fish and tank and notice the same cory on its side in my hornwort plant. I went netting for him to bring him out but he swim away rotating with barely energy swirling into the other side not looking good, i cought him and put him inside a 8oz half full water bottle. I just placed him in the freezer, did i do the right thing? from previous experiences when they swim in that sort and look pale etc, it is fatal. before I would wait to really see if they die and then just take them out when dead. this time he isnt dead but not great either.
If what I did is the right thing to do why do I feel so shitty inside?

Sometimes it's for the best if a fish is very unwell, to put it to sleep. Ive only had to do this a couple of times, and used clove oil (which is an anaesthetic that puts them to sleep very quickly and painlessly). For example, a tetra I had was chased by another and headbutted the side of the tank so hard it lay twitching for a good ten minutes or so before I decided it was likely to die. And, I had a platy once that miscarried terribly, so I put her to sleep too.

It really depends on the situation, and it's your call as to whether to do this or not. It won't make you feel any better for having done it though; its lose lose: let it die slowly and in apparent discomfort, for which you'd feel responsible, or put it out of misery quickly, for which you'd still feel responsible.

:(

Sorry to hear about the loss, it's always the worst part about fish keeping.

I've had pets my whole life, especially dogs. I've had some die of "old age" and had to put others down. For me, the gut wrenching part is the decision, deciding when it is time.

All we can do is to make a best guess judgment based on what we know and what we see. As long as we do everything we can not to increase their suffering and put an end to their already unhealthy state quickly, we should take comfort in the fact that we are actually doing them a service, a favor in some way. Hell, I almost wish somebody would do the same for me in that situation.

The crappy feeling is normal and expected. Don't second guess, just accept that what you did is to carry out the final responsibility of ethical animal husbandry.

Ugh. The first time i had to euthanize one of my fish, i cried.....oh man did i cry. I felt like dirt.

I think that is normal.

I had to lay to rest a Boseman that apparently was sick from the get go. I used the icey water method and went ahead and fully froze it for good measure. I think you did the right thing. Some things are recoverable, but its like the dog with 4 broken legs (or any other extreme example) is the experiance or life after really worth it.

It is normal to feel crappy even when its the right thing to do. You would feel crappy if you let it sit there to die more slowly too, so I say trust your judgment. Sorry about your loss.

"Freezing

This method can be carried out by simply getting a container of tank water with fish in it, covering it, and putting it into the freezer. There are however, certain humane issues with this method as well.

1. Most tropical fish are not known to enter a dormancy stage when in extreme cold. The same thing that happens in humans happens in fish. The body severely constricts the blood vessels, starting from the extremities, to keep the center of the body warm. This action that the body takes is extremely long and painful, and thus is also long and painful for fish.
2. Coldwater fish however, are proven to have a dormancy stage. This is the same stage that allows them to hibernate in freezing water over the winter in ponds. Their body shuts down, metabolism all but stops, and the method is painless, for the most part. (Note that after the freezing is done, the fish should be decapitated)
3. A freezer drops temperature very quickly, about a degree every few minutes. This is too fast for this method to be completely humane to both cold water and tropical fish.
4. Ice crystals will form in the blood stream and cells, causing extreme pain to the fish."
Personally I wouldn't want to go through that...I was not trying to argue, you just asked if that was the right thing to do. I just wanted to let you know there are other ways.
I do agree, we can't really measure a fish's pain, but if we know their biology, we can probably make very accurate guesses on general pain "levels".
I am sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom