RIP Max

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
Max passed on today with my help. He got to the point where the tumors were preventing him from swimming for more than a few seconds at a time, and his breathing was starting to be affected. I was very attached to Max and it was a hard thing for me to do. He will be missed. :cry:

Sorry to hear about your loss, Meredith. :(

Max reminds me of my own "Mr. Jones".....I don't know what I'd do if I lost him. There's no doubt that you did the right thing...

Thanks everyone. He has a lovely resting place under the shady pink weigela out back. I truely hope I never have to do that again. Thank you all for your kind words.

Awww, Meredith, I am sorry to hear that. You and Max held on for a long time. He was beautiful and I am sure he was a wonderful companion. When the time comes, I bury my bettas in the backyard too.

Sorry about your loss. I hate making that decision too but you definitely made the right choice.

I used to struggle when the time came to end the suffering of a dieing fish. I just remember that in the wild there would be a larger fish to come along and end their suffering. By euthanizing them when they are severely ill with no hope of recovery, you are helping to mimic the natural environment by removing the sick or old. I still wait quite a while before euthanizing and try to make myself think that they are improving when they are not.
What is harder for me is to see the reaction of their mates. When I had to put down my female Florida Flag Fish, the male didn't eat for three days and just circled the tank looking for her.

Back
Top Bottom