RIP MOE the Bala Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pamelarowley57

Aquarium Advice Regular
Unfortunately, my senegal bichir (now officially named Jaws) finally acted on his natural predatory instincts. Moe was the victim and although he got away with a damaged tail fin and I was able to remove him and put him in a different tank, Moe still died. I don't know if there was more damage than just the fin or if Moe just simply went into shock.

I knew this would happen eventually. I thought it would be the glo fish that became victims, but he never did more than stalk them. I got the Bala sharks because they are supposedly ok tankmates (I have heard of them being attacked though) and the senegal bichir is still relatively small 4"-5". Anyhow, now I'm not real sure what I can put in with him. I know he's bored now that he is virtually alone, but I want something else to look at in that HUGE TANK.....

You only have 1 bala shark?
Mine died cuz of stress, being alone and he didnt eat for the 11 days that i had him... he died couple days ago. the guy keep saying its very unusual, but........

I have a 125 gal tank

I had 3 balas . They all played together and swam together, but it seemed that two of them stuck closer together than the other. The one (probably Moe) seemed to be a bit of a loner at times and it probably left him vulnerable to attack. That and my theory is that they spend a lot of time idle or hovering and wagging their tail fins....too much excitement and opportunity for Jaws...lol

I had all the fish together except for the mollie (was planning on converting hers to a brackish tank) but when the attack happened I immediately took out all the small fish leaving just the LaceCat and Jaws in the 125.

Not sure what to do with the other Balas....BF says survival of the fittest...but I don't think that'd be good.

survival of the fittest lol
none of my fishes attacked my bala shark, i have 4 neon tetras 3 red eye tetras and 2 mollies

Oh der sorry about my ignorant suggestion up there
Didn't realize I was in a freshwater forum!

Back
Top Bottom