River Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone know if driftwood from a river is safe for fish? I'm looking on Ebay and it's from Big Wood River in Idaho. :fish1:

..... unless all the fish are dead in Big Wood River I believe you will be ok. All driftwood comes from somewhere they dont make it.

as long as it is very thoroughly soaked, clened then soaked again, it shold be fine. might even come with extra good bacteria, but risks are a bit high to just whack it in the tank :) x

Good morning Malt...

Driftwood from local rivers and streams, ponds, lakes, etc. is great stuff. Completely safe with just a little rinsing or scrubbing. It's tons better than the expensive pieces at the LFS. The LFS stuff leaks tannins into the tank that can affect the tank lighting.

Never bought the natural pieces though. I've always gotten them locally, free. My tanks are full of the local driftwood and rocks.

I guess if the price is right, the pieces might be very nice. Hard to believe it could be shipped very cheaply, even ground would be costly, because the shipment would be to a residence. If you do buy, have the shipper ship to your business work place. Could save a little money.

Sounds like one of those "too good to be true" deals. Buyer beware!

B

I can't even imagine the shipping charges on driftwood..... I also get mine locally. Soak, rinse, repeat. Let dry in the sun and then put in tank. :flowers:

..... unless all the fish are dead in Big Wood River I believe you will be ok.

:)

All of my driftwood I collected from a river. I scrub them w/a brush, then boil them for a couple of hours. Large pieces, I have to boil "one end" at a time. Then I scrub them again, then soak UN clean water until the don't try to float. I haven't had any issues w/disease or water staining.

Have the seller check with a fingernail if it's hardwood or softwood. I bought some on ebay from I think that area and didn't ask her to check first :(

Back
Top Bottom