River Rock Structures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
Although I know this should probably be posted in the DIY forum, I thought that I might get more of a response over here...but if I'm mysteriously moved over there, I'll understand :D

Anyway, I will be setting up a new tank shortly and would like to make some river rock structures for my fish. I'm currently in the process of testing the rocks (I'm leaving a few in a bowl of water for a few days to see if any of the parameters change), but would like to build up some big structures assuming that they test OK.

The rocks are between 2-3 inches in size...I know that they are not ideal, but I found a big bag at the dollar store, so I thought for $1.50, I've give it a try. I haven't really done anything similar to this, so I'm looking for a few opinions...

1. Do I need to have something to build the rocks around (like a flower pot or some PVC pipe) or can I just build up the structure slowly without an internal support? I'd like to make a few that are more flower pot-sized than PVC pipe-sized, if that makes any difference.

2. I assume that using aquarium silicone (like the kind that you use on glass) will be OK to use? Is there anything else that I could use that might be cheaper?

3. The rocks are very smooth (but don't look to be chemically polished). Do I need to sand down the areas that I am going to glue, or should the silicone alone do the trick?

TIA! I can't wait to show everyone my finished creations!

assume that using aquarium silicone (like the kind that you use on glass) will be OK to use? Is there anything else that I could use that might be cheaper?
100% silicone.

I put some rocks together and will get a pic up by the end of the day. My rocks were bigger, but small rocks should be okay, Just give the silicone plenty of time to cure.

As needing to use something to build the structure on, I think that just comes down to preference. If you want it to have a specific size or shape than it may be better (or at least easier) to use something, but I would think that something built with out may have a more natural feel.

As far as what silicon to use, you could probably find something at a home improvement store that will be safe. I know there are a couple of threads in the DIY forum about safe silicon, but I can't recall specifically.

As long as the rocks are not chemically polished (and "river rocks" shouldn't be), then there should be no need to sand, after all silicone sticks to glass. But sanding might make for a more secure structure by having flat areas touching and not rounded surfaces, assuming that you would want to sand that much. I'm not sure if it would make much of a difference and would likely depend on how large and complicated that you were planning to get with it.

Just as an alternative, some pet/fish stores might carry fake stones for aquariums that might make for a better structure depending on what you're looking for. Around here, there's a petsmart that sells them for $1-$2 each from less than palm size up to a pretty good size. Might be worth checking out if you start to worry about the stone you have.

Have fun with it.

EDIT: If you use silicone that is not aquarium specific, check to see that it doesn't have fungicide in it.

I recently built some "caves" for my fish. I went to the hardware store and bought some silicon that said "for aquariums" right on the package. I also bought some small black pvc. I also got my rocks from a dollar store, and they have not harmed my water at all. There are pictures of my caves in my gallery. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the replies!

I checked out my favourite dollar store again at lunchtime today and found some silicone. It says that it's 100% silicone, but then it says that it's not suitable for use in an aquarium. Is there any reason that I can't use it if it really is 100%?...I can understand them putting the disclaimer on there for legal reasons, but I can't imagine why I couldn't use it...

(And yes, I know that the logical answer is "better safe than sorry"...but I'm just curious) :D

Sara, go to Revy (RONA) or Canadian Tires & look for House brand 100% silicone WITHOUT Mildewcide - ie not for bathroom or kitchen. Some "100% silicone" - eg GE #2, has colour, or mildewcide & is not good for aquarium.

Apparently GE Silicone I is 100% silicone & aquarium safe. But because of a non-competetive clause (they also make the aquarium stuff you find in pet store), is not labeled for aquarium use - but it also does not say not to use on aquarium either.

The one I use is RONA 100% silicone (clear), UPC # 40200000004. It says right on the tube" "ideal for aquarium repair". Costs about $2.50 for 300 ml.

I've managed to locate the silicone that I need (thanks jsoong!), but am still testing the rocks.

Can anyone tell me how long I need to let the rocks sit in some tank water before I can re-test the water and figure out if I can use them or not? 1 day? 2 days? A week?

I just thought I'd make a reply so there would be three E-Towners in a row. Also Sara, you post that you use tahitian moon sand for substrate. I'd sure like to see a pic of that. It sounds interesting. Thanks.
Looking foward to seeing the stone creation, I myself will be going in that direction when the new tank gets in the house. (1 week, can't wait)(65gal)

Sara said:
Can anyone tell me how long I need to let the rocks sit in some tank water before I can re-test the water ...

Can't say for sure ... but ... Edmonton water is almost fully saturated with carbonates <our pH is 7.8 - 8.0, full saturation is around 8.4>, so any change will be slow. If you add crushed coral to neutual water, the time to equilibration is several days, but with our hard water, I would expect that it will take longer. When I tested my batch of river rocks, I waited a week, but that's just a number I picked out of thin air! :)

HTH

Thanks jsoong! No, I agree...a week sounds like a safe bet. Although, really Brichardi would benefit from any increase in pH or hardness anywa...but I guess that I just want to be sure.

mazdaman said:
Also Sara, you post that you use tahitian moon sand for substrate. I'd sure like to see a pic of that. It sounds interesting. Thanks.

mazdaman, here is a pic of my 5 gallon (please excuse the low water line and shoddy camera work):

5gal.JPG

and here is my 10 gallon (again please excuse the incompetent photographer :oops: ):

10gal.JPG

[By the way, my computer is acting up, so if the pics don't work you can see them in my gallery...my first ever gallery pics! :D]

Thanks for that sara. How do find cleaning that stuff. It looks pretty fine, any get in your filter? Does the tank cloud up with it when you do gravel vac? We could almost turn this topic into an ALBERTA topic.

Ha, I'll wreck it for ya :D (or at least make it national)

I have that very fine sand in my daughters, found stirring is the only way to clean it, but I'm open to better ways :)

Mazdaman said:
Thanks for that sara. How do find cleaning that stuff. It looks pretty fine, any get in your filter? Does the tank cloud up with it when you do gravel vac? We could almost turn this topic into an ALBERTA topic.

Mazdaman, I have a sponge pre-filter on my 10 gallon, and a regular sponge filter on my 5 gallon, so with these set ups there is no sand in the filters. I'll also be using tahitian moon sand on a larger tank that I am setting up with a canister filter though...and I'm not sure if I'm going to have problems with that or not...

The tank doesn't cloud up at all when I gravel vac. Although I'm not sure if this is the best method or not, when I vac I stir up the sand similar to what Wizzard~Of~Ozz does. I find that the tank remains pretty clean (by sight, at least) with the sand, although one word of caution for you Mazdaman. If you are thinking about buying black sand here in Edmonton, I would strongly recommend the Tahitian Moon Sand over the Estes black sand, both of which are available at Big Al's. I used to have a tank with the Estes sand, and it was really easy to spot waste on the bottom...with the Tahitian Moon Sand, there are some light specks in it as well, so the waste is far better camoflagued.

Good to know. I haven't decided on substrate yet. I like the look of a lighter colored gravel or sand, but that's what I have in my 20gal right now. Might want a different look for the other tank. Just don't know yet. But thanks again for the pics and the info. And I checked out DADS the other day. Great spot, Talked with Henry for like an hour about plants and he was awesome. Nice guy and very informative. Also they do have great fish, I really liked this one type of Barb they had there, can't remember the name but it was orange with black stripes and a longer body compared to most barbs I've seen. Not to big a stock on equipment though which is too bad. I really will spend a few extra bucks at a local store when they are so helpful. Probably buy anything I can there to help keep 'em around. Are you a member of A.C.E.? Ever been to an auction?

Yeah, Henry is fantastic. I could spend hours talking to him and Gillian :D. As for equipment, you're right...they don't have much in the way of dry goods. They've ordered stuff in for me a few times, but it's kind of a pain for them, so I buy whatever I can there and then go to Big Al's for the rest.

I'm not currently a member of the ACE, but I have been to a couple of auctions. I'm not active with them because they hold their meetings at a school that is both very far away from me, and not on a bus route...so attendance at most of their functions is out (unless it's an auction at which point it's worth the 1.5 hour bus ride).

Sara, are you planning on going to the nest ace auction in feb. Maybe if you show me the ropes you might not have to take the bus at all. Just a thought, I've never been and someone who has could probably offer could advice. I'm probably going to go either way but I don't think my wife would come so the company would be nice aswell.

Back
Top Bottom