River rocks/stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amy87

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was thinking of going down the river down behind my house and getting some smooth rocks and stones to decorate my tank. I've read that if u boil them first they will be fine but just wanted some opinion on this.

Much cheaper then buying them ?

Don't boil them, just scrub them down good with a clean brush that has never had any soap/cleaners used on it. Then you can pour some really hot water over them before putting them in the tank. You also might want to put a couple drops of vinegar on each rock to see if they bubble/sizzle. If so they contain calcium and you may not want to use them in your tank as that can raise Ph. I use river rocks in all my tanks.

I have heard people say on here that boiling rocks can be dangerous. Idk about that but I have always just taken a dedicated scrub brush n scrubbed the rocks really good under hot running water

Wiggles24 said:
I have heard people say on here that boiling rocks can be dangerous. Idk about that but I have always just taken a dedicated scrub brush n scrubbed the rocks really good under hot running water

Cheers for the advise guys will go down the river tomorrow see wat I can find

Back
Top Bottom