River Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, there are now three long-finned zebra danios and one oriental firebellied toad in the tank. I will follow up with pictures. Water tests all come out fine and the toad is happy and active. This is some cool stuff. I've never kept amphibians before.

I have 2 different plastic rivertank set-ups. They don't look as bad as you'd think, once it's all together & running, with gravel, plants, etc. I keep several species of treefrogs and toads in one & had a salamander that grew up from a mudpuppy that died a few months ago. The other one just has a river & a shelf to seperate the land from the wate. I have 2 water turtles & a African bullfrog in that one.

I'm starting my own river tank as well. All I did so far is buy a new 30 gallon tank. I'm going to construct it myself with plexiglass and silicone. Anyone know if standard Plexi-glass from Home Depot would leech anything into the water? I keep reading mixed reviews on creatures able to handle the environment. Some sites on the web say that anoles & geckos do fine, other people ( and mentioned earlier on this thread) say that they will fall into the water and drown.

Tree frogs & salamanders, toads & maybe a small turtle will probably end up being my choice. I'm also thinking about fiddler crabs (once again mixed web reviews on whether or not they will eat the fish ) or crayfish (same).

I'm also very interested in mudskippers, because they are just so unique and such interesting looking little creatures. The problem with them is that they are native to mudflats and mangrove swamps, and should be kept in 1.010 to 1.015 salinity, 8.0 pH environment. They should be kept in nothing smaller than a 3 ft tank. In actuality, they are a gobie, but their living requirements and personality makes it almost impossible to keep them with anything other than other mudskipper species, a few types of gobies, and perhaps some brackish shrimp or lobster. I think I have to steer clear of them, at least until I have more time, money, and space to devote a large tank to them alone.

For now I want to have a diverse collection of plant & animal species. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

I'll keep you guys posted.

I don't know of any water turtles that stay small enough for a 30gal. In addition, they are carnivores & eat crabs, fish & small frogs. Anoles will drown, but i have sucessfully kept glass climbing geckoes (the ones w/velcro feet) with no problem.

Just some update pictures. Still searching for that backdrop that fits the tank, but most of them are at a horrible scale. Also waiting for things to settle before I add some ivy to cover the power cables and such. One thing at a time.

Im starting a paludarium as well, and need some help with the plant aspect. Do i need to make a water tight area for the plants, do i need potting soil, or can it just be water all across the board. Im attaching a diagram of what I want it to look like, the land will consist of rocks unless i have to have potting soil, where I will then have to rethink my plans entirely...

Back
Top Bottom