Riverine Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMRC Exotics

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys, I'm starting this thread to document my progress on building a riverine tank to house hillstream loaches. I'll be updating as things progress.
I'm starting with a 20 gallon long tank. I'll be building a manifold out of pvc to plug into the powerhead and create a unidirectional flow which the loaches prefer. I'll also be using an air pump to help supply these guys with the oxygen rich environment they require. Feel free to comment and follow along!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds like it's going to be cool! Definitely following along to see what you do. The manifold goes under the substrate right? Are you going to plant this tank low tech?

These seem to be a fish gaining popularity...
I have seen the manifolds before,interested in watching you build this tank!
Got to follow along...

Woohoo! This is going to be my favorite build thread :D Got any pics of the loaches you've got?

this is the only photo I have thus far, in their current quarantine tank.

Im in!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

great!

Sounds like it's going to be cool! Definitely following along to see what you do. The manifold goes under the substrate right? Are you going to plant this tank low tech?

yes, it's a pvc return system under the substrate. I'm going to use sand and large smooth rocks along with a long photoperiod to induce algae growth which these guys feed on, I'm unsure on planting it based on the high flow, it may be tough to keep anything anchored. I also don't need plants using up the nutrients the algae is relying on.

These seem to be a fish gaining popularity...
I have seen the manifolds before,interested in watching you build this tank!
Got to follow along...

Thanks cb, I'm glad you're interested. Unfortunately these loaches often go into unsuitable tanks, not sure if you saw my initial thread when I was considering these but I rescued these guys from a low flow 78° tank, they wouldn't have lasted much longer. I'm happy to have given them a chance.

Any plans besides the hillstream? Y'know the greatest aquarium fish of all time would be a suitable tankmate if you can find it (Sinibotia longiventralis/pulchra/reveesae/supercilaris)

I haven't nailed down a final stocking. 3 small loaches in a 20 long certainly leaves room for more stock. I'm interested in mixing in some retics once the setup is established enough to support them. Passed that I'm all ears on suggestions.

Sinibotia.... Get Sinibotia and never go back! They're like a botia crossed with a kuhli with coffee in the bloodstream....

So I've created the pvc manifold required for these fish. I siliconed it tonight, 24 hrs from now it will be cured. I used a wood table to ensure that it was square.

Haven't decided, powerhead choice is still up in the air, highest of the petco brand is a 250ish gph flow.

Back
Top Bottom