Rivertanks, anyone got one or got any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
problematic?? You can kep them for half a year before they get too big. When that time comes get ride of the and get some more.

I don't know if this is a river tank, but it goes along with the amphibeans and fish together. My LFS has a little 15 gallon tank filled halfway with lots of sand,gravel, and a few large rocks that stick out of the water. In there they have been keeping Fire-bellied newts and a couple little frogs. Recently (about 2 months ago) they had a betta no one wanted so they decided to stick him in the tank, and he's been doing just fine with everyone. It was an experiement, but it seems to have worked. Everyone looks happy and healthy, the betta is even blowing bubble nests.

Bearfan, I did a search before I posted this and couldn't find anything. I'll try again. Your pics look great!

Breadman, by problematic I meant that largemouth bass can be difficult to train to take nonliving food. Also, a bass will eat any living thing that it can get into its mouth. Bream/bluegill are very aggressive. Bass and bluegill will do fine together provided that the bluegill are not too small to eat and provided that their numbers are not such to where they will pick on the bass. Few other species would last long with either of these fish.

Pufferpunk, did you use anything to cover the ledges and exposed areas above the water line?

Frogs are very destructive when it comes to jumping around. I had all kinds of stuff on there, even had live plants at one time. It looked great for about a week & then all got destroyed. Now I just put gravel up there, until they knock it down.

How should I set up the top of the rivertank? It seems that I would need a screen to make sure nothing escapes. However, I need a glass cover to keep moisture in. How would you set it up to use both a screen and a glass top?

I have a screen with a hinged "door" to put my hand thru. If you use a glass top, the glass will fog up & you won't be able to see inside. All that water moving around, will be moist enough. You'll be surprised how fast the water will evaporate.

The glass is needed to catch the evaporation and allow to drop back down, watering the plants (those that are non-aquatic). I read somewhere to leave an inch or two open to prevent the fogging up of all the glass.

I have a two inch gap in the middle screened over. The rest is covered with glass to help reduce evap.

Bearfan, did you just screen the gap or did you place the screen over the entire top? If you just screened the gap, how did you do it?

Just the gap, I cut the screen in a strip to cover the gap, glued it into place, and the glass top covers the back where it's not glued.

Back
Top Bottom