RO water for my FW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefRaff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, I usualy spend my time at the SW forum but I also have a FW tank. I just got my RO, and did a water change on my Salt. Now its time to do my Fresh, and I was wondering if there is any minerals or what not, that I would have to add back to the water, or can I use it straight just the way it is. Thanks much

Kent makes a powder or liquid called R/O right, it will add the trace elements you need to make the water you need (soft, medium, or hard) depending on the fish you have.

There is also an article or really more like a bunch of e-mail responses to some classic RO myths in the articles section.

IMO i would have two seperate mixing containers for saltwater mixing and freshwater with RO right.

I'm just wondering, why bother with ro in an african chiclid tank? They like hard water, minerals don't bother them, so far as i know. Just curious, do you think there is something in your tap water you need to get rid of for your fw tank?

This would be good for me to know if others come in w/this type question.

No, nothing in particular. As a matter of a fact, when I do change my water, all I do is use a gravel vac, and suck it down, the I hit the valve and push fresh tap back into the tank. I do add a few drops of declor to the tank after it fills. He has never seemed to mind it for 5 years. But after finding out that the water has 166 TDS coming in, I just thought he might like it better. My water is hard. I know this because I get allot of Calcium build up on the furness humidifier. maybe he likes the tap just as it is?

I also use RO water, what I usually do it just put a pinch of salt in and a pinch of baking soda. Seems to work no problem

Back
Top Bottom