RO Water Systems??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamsAquarium

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am contemplating getting an RO system for my discus tank. I am burning about $30/month in RO water from the store.

I found this $75 RO system on doctor fosters and smith and thought about buying it to make it much more easier for myself and less expensive to do water changes.

The problem is, I don't know how these systems work. I am under the impression that if I set up the ro system, it would be to one specific faucet and every 45 days or so I would have to do cartridge changes.

Is there anything I should know FIRST before I purchase an RO system.

I'm open to any and all advice. For the sake of this, assume I know nothing about these systems.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I checked S&F but couldn't find the unit you were looking at. You don't have to hook it to a faucet they usually come with a needle valve and saddle to attach to any water pipe. The cartriges usually don't have to be changed for 6 mo. to a year depending on usage. Check out purewaterclub.com you my find a better unit for the same or cheaper price and I believe they ship for free.

I guess I should have been a bit more informative about my water and the water for my tank. My local tap water is 8.2, and I use the RO water (6.5 ph) for about 90% of the tank, and 10% tap water to achieve my tank at a 7.0 ph.

Tonedogz, thanks for your response. I posted the link to the ro unit on doctor fosters and smith. I'm not sure what to look for as far as "better quality" ro units

I have this RO system. I've been using it about a month now. I can't answer all of your questions but I can tell you what I've done with mine.

I have a utility sink in my basement and I run my RO down there off of that. I got a quick disconnect hose coupling to easily connect it to my faucet. I do recommend purchasing a TDS meter also. It is the only way I know to check to make sure you RO is actually working. The TDS (total dissolved solids) on my RO water range about 2-6 with my meter. I also purchased a flush valve for mine which I use for about 5 minutes every time finish using it and I've got a float kit but I haven't installed that yet. I don't have any idea how long my different cartridges will last or how I'll know when they are used up but I'm assuming my TDS will slowly start to climb and that will be an indication that I need to change things out.

The system does generate a lot of waste water. Basically water is pressurized and forced across a membrane. Only water is supposed to pass through the membrane. The stuff dissolved in the water stays behind and flows out the waste water line. I have my waste line flowing out through a drain in our basement that daylights to a nearby field. This way it doesn't go through the septic system. In the summer when it's not freezing out, I'm hoping to collect some of the water to use for watering my plants and garden.

My well water is very hard. GH 20 and KH 20-23 and we have a water softener so I am running the softened water through the RO so the RO doesn't have to work so hard.

Aquatic Life has a web page with FAQ for RO/DI systems here. It may also help to answer some of your questions. Good luck!

AquaticLife RO Buddie 3-Stage Reverse Osmosis System

50 GPD. Is that continuous? Or to achieve the full 50 gallons in 1 day, would need a storage tank? I'm looking to use about 20 gallons ever 2 or 3 days for my discus tank. Not sure if I would be able to fill up my buckets and do the water change all at once.

It is a slow process and I don't think I get 50 gpd from mine but my water is really hard. I have a 30 gallon trash can I collect the RO water into, then I scoop it out with a 1 gallon jug when I need it. It's not necessarily food safe as some recommended but I did rinse it very well and it had no odor prior to use. I add back in buffers and GH to mine so I have to measure out the RO water anyway. I have one 29 gallon tank right now and I try to keep about 15-17 gallons of RO water available. I haven't really timed it but usually takes about 12-16 hours over two days to make that much. Optimum water temperature for operation is 77F so I attached my quick disconnect, run hot and cold water mixed, check the temp. then insert the tubing. This does tie up that faucet for the time above. It also increases the amount time/cost for hot water usage. Something else to be aware of. Let me know what other questions you have.

Tonedogz, thanks for your response. I posted the link to the ro unit on doctor fosters and smith. I'm not sure what to look for as far as "better quality" ro units

If money isn't a concern, look at units that pressurize the water for you by either a booster pump or electric pump. The pressure is what is most important for reducing waster water and maximizing output.

Back
Top Bottom