rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgilityIG

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today I found some rainbow slate at my LFS. I asked them about cleaning it and they said that it had already been cleaned and that I should just rinse it in tap water to get rid of the dust. I let it soak in a couple buckets for an hour and then took it out and rinsed it with more water. They look clean, but when they are wet they have a bit of an odor (they didn't smell when dry). Is there anything else I need to do to them before introducing them to my tank?

Smelled like mud? Thats normal for slate. What I do to clean slate is use a soft brass brush and pour boiling water overtop, do not boil the rock!

Yes! That's what I was smelling. I was trying to figure out what the odor was - it was not bad, but just could not place the smell. Thanks!

you should probably soak it for a week or two... i dont know 100% about rainbow slate, but regular old slate will cause an oil like film on top of the water for a couple weeks if you dont soak it first... i soaked my rainbow slate with the rest of my slate and the bucket looked like i'd poured a gallon of vegetable oil in there with it

I'll throw it all in a five gallon bucket and let it soak. It did "hiss" a bit when I soaked it earlier (air pockets, I assume?). Should I keep changing the water while it soaks over the next couple weeks or just leave it alone?

I would change out the water every couple days... put a powerhead in there if you have one, that'll keep the water from getting a film on top and turning stagnant

I don't have a powerhead, but it will be easy enough to just change the water. There is only about 20 pounds of rock (although now I want MORE!) so it should be no problem.

Back
Top Bottom