Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
River rocks should be fine. Just test it with vinegar. If it bubbles, it is not safe for aquarium and fish.

That's what I used to keep the manzanita DW in my 10g from floating. Just test it first.

You can also use a small brick. Just clean it. I use to have a brick for 2 months in my discus tank for them to lay eggs on.

What kind of rock can I put in my tank that won't mess things up

Granites, Slates, and Quartz Rocks (usually river rocks ) are pretty safe choices
common choices. Stay away from carbonate rocks like limestone or marble as they'll raise pH ... may not be by much ... but they can. You can test for these rocks by pouring some vinegar or mild acid. If it bubbles it may be a carbonate. Another test is to scratch it with a steel knife ... steel easily scratches carbonate rocks.

Once I get the rock do I do anything special to it before putting it in

Scrub it to rid of dirt and/or plant matter. You can use a bleach water solution to disinfect the rock. One part bleach, 20 parts water. Rinse until you don't smell any bleach and the last rinse is with dechlorinated water.

I boil my rocks ... some people will say don't because they'll explode .. which, as an earth science teacher ... I honestly do not get how that's possible .. with the rocks I mentioned. The chances are remote at best. The most likely way is if you boiled them and then dosed them with ice water ... maybe. Otherwise, I boil and then let them air dry.

Rocks that bubble with acid are carbonate rocks which could increase your pH. This is more of an issue if your trying to keep a soft water tank. Tanks with higher pH's may not see much of a difference in pH.

So I have some slate but before I put it in what can I put between it (the slate) and the glass on the tank so I dont damage the tank

It should be fine without anything in between. What I did with mine is just the substrate in between the glass and rock.

Edit: wait, are the rocks for keeping your DW from floating or decorative rocks?

Last edited:
What about when I lean it against the glass should I worry about that

You can use a styrofoam just on the spots touching the glass. You'll take it out anyway once the wood gets water logged.

Back
Top Bottom