Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Rock from local parks

Is it safe to use rock that you find in local parks and water streams in aquarium fish tanks .....

Help please

Old 07-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

As long as clean them.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #3

Thanks...... does it matter what rock it is , I was goin to take it from a river stream / waterfall ?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Not really some will raise the ph some, but nothing big as long as you wash it off.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanskunk
Thanks...... does it matter what rock it is , I was goin to take it from a river stream / waterfall ?
*Rocks to avoid*
°Limestone
°Dead Coral pieces or sand (unless you want to increase the GH of your water).
°Amethyst (it contains Manganese and unchelated iron)
°Geodes
°Gypsum
°Ironstone
°Nephrite
°Marble
°Jasper types.
°Sandstone - can contain Feldspar (possible metals)

*Rocks that are safe to use*
°Granite - entirely safe but can be very heavy so position carefully °Slate - edges can be sharp, ages well in aquariums
°Lava rock - do not roast or boil as they will break down. Contains chelated iron which is used to fertilise plants
°Quartz - can be sharp and does not age well in aquariums
°Onyx Pumice - not a real stone, actually glass, and may float due to being very porous - do not roast or boil!
°Petrified wood - use the acid test before putting in the aquarium

If you have a doubt about the rock pour some vinegar on it and wait to see if it bubbles. If it does don't use it, it will effect the levels in your tank
Old 07-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #6

Are these rocks safe for Fishtank aquarium. tipped Vinegar on then didn't see any bubbles help .......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4251234952.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	105904  
Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Possible issues are microscopic hitchhikers/eggs of undesirable creatures, scrub rocks no soap, you can use vinegar, baking soda, salt, in whatever combination you choose.
Rinse off several times to clean well.

I have a new green scrubby pad I only use for scrubbing my equipment, put in a marked bag for reuse later. (no added soaps / additives, obviously) New Dollar store scrub brush same thing, keep in a bag just for that sort of thing. Never touched cleaners/soap!

Make sure if you use your sink, counter top, faucet inside the house, they have no soap/cleaners/chemical residue on them.

I usually let my rocks lay out in the sun a few days turn over and leave it for a few more days, other people boil to kill stuff and others bake in a moderately low oven for how long and what temp I don't know, to get rid of unwanted things.

-have heard of the dishwasher too with no soap but mine has a compartment for rinse aid liquid so I wouldn't know for sure if I got out all the rinse aid from the compartment so I wouldn't use that method. lol

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now - 12G Edge nano fish
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky
Possible issues are microscopic hitchhikers/eggs of undesirable creatures, scrub rocks no soap, you can use vinegar, baking soda, salt, in whatever combination you choose.
Rinse off several times to clean well.

I have a new green scrubby pad I only use for scrubbing my equipment, put in a marked bag for reuse later. (no added soaps / additives, obviously) New Dollar store scrub brush same thing, keep in a bag just for that sort of thing. Never touched cleaners/soap!

Make sure if you use your sink, counter top, faucet inside the house, they have no soap/cleaners/chemical residue on them.

I usually let my rocks lay out in the sun a few days turn over and leave it for a few more days, other people boil to kill stuff and others bake in a moderately low oven for how long and what temp I don't know, to get rid of unwanted things.

-have heard of the dishwasher too with no soap but mine has a compartment for rinse aid liquid so I wouldn't know for sure if I got out all the rinse aid from the compartment so I wouldn't use that method. lol
Thank you very much
Old 07-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanskunk
Are these rocks safe for Fishtank aquarium. tipped Vinegar on then didn't see any bubbles help .......
Does anybody know what type of rock this is it ?
Old 07-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks to be some type of quartz, its safe to boil for about 5-10 minutes to clean it. Just a slow boil at around 180°

Tags
rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com