Rock hunting..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

well today we went to visit my grandma and go rock hunting. Most of the rocks were gone since they had paved her road a few years ago.. however she had a ton in her yard that she was using for landscaping and such. I didn't want to take all her landscaping but she had a pile of extra's so i picked out my favorites!!! I only got one decent big one though becuase most of the big ones are bordering her flower beds. Most of the rocks i picked out are mostly flint and little limestone so it shouldn't be too bad... and i tested it all with vinegar and none of it bubbled!!! Surprisingly. I boiled all of them in huge stock pots on my stove and then i soaked them in bleach water.. then i boiled them again and rinsed them in dechlor. I also scrubbed scrubbed scrubbed all the dirt off!!! Anyway i got some pics and it looks soo awesome!! I think my cichlids like it! oh and by the way, it is cloudy becuase i JUST got finished with it.

img_552274_0_83485785d469c15a9cdaf55a80a032fa.jpg

img_552274_1_abd43014bf499549e05c144240ceda43.jpg

img_552274_2_5fdc82a7ddfca8249c527e4d5245fd37.jpg

img_552274_3_cf1511da39053b9a92b1b0cd826a1578.jpg

img_552274_4_b6f9a432c279eb6397bfa606a028f9c6.jpg

img_552274_5_b480e59d2710ac5ff75325d9bb5413a5.jpg

img_552274_6_c604a27ab595c9ac04159e2fc69e6f2a.jpg

img_552274_7_a44d391d9a97a8306eb8234712ec8646.jpg

img_552274_8_75db981446b3d37f364a7d372b771a01.jpg

Looking good! I'm jealous cause we can't find any rocks like that here. Not to mention that right now they are under the snow. :roll:

yeah but don't you guys have like rivers and stuff up there??? I don't know much about canada but when i went camping in the great smoky mt. national forest there were tons of creeks and rivers with georgous rocks. Next time i travel up there i will be hauling some rocks back home!!! LOL.

awe sorry Zagz.. sounds like you need to go on a vacation somewhere!!! I just couldn't bear to pay the LFS prices for rocks.

Vacation? What is that? ROFL, no one wants to watch my house with 6 cats and now 7 tanks. LOL, the price I pay for my babies.

awe... sorry to hear that.. luckily we got to go on vacation this year and our roomate matt took care of everything for us.

hey an,

you might want to keep an eye on your kh and ph as limestone can act as a buffer and (i believe) raise the kh.

someone correct me if i'm wrong...

yes your are correct crazycat.. but i know a lot of people use crushed coral in their cichlid tanks, and since i don't have that i figured a little bit of limestone won't hurt. The rocks I picked out are mostly flint as the limestone one's were pretty dusty and fall apart easily. The pieces i got are mostly smooth and less porous than the pure limestone pieces. I of course still plan to keep an eye on the pH but i actually need it to go up a bit because its been right at 7.2 recently and i wouldn't mind if it slowly goes up to 8. I also do a 50% weekly water change so hopefully it will stabilize.

Looks great. 'Rocks from grandma' makes me long for my friend's grandmother's driveway....the day she got a new load of gravel and we discovered it to be about 30% small fossils.

Most stone yards around here will let you grab slate and stuff (scrap).. or for a few $$ you can pick which ones you want (any rock).. they also sell a heavy sand (Concrete sand) @ 4$/80lbs..

limestone is good for africans it does raise the ph and kh, which is what they prefer.
Good score on the rocks, they look great !
Our garden currently lacks a few of those feature rocks as they have somehow made their way into the display tank.....

Matt.

also the vinegar test just means there is carbonates, i think, can't remember the particular details right now? which is good isn't it?

DeFeKt said:
also the vinegar test just means there is carbonates, i think, can't remember the particular details right now? which is good isn't it?

Yes, which suggests that any reactive stones will slowly degrade and increase the hardness of your water. Personally, I always use muriatic acid whenever in doubt of a particular rock....I find it a bit more reliable, but not so safe for most hobbyists.

yeah they really seem to be enjoying them. WHen i look at it though it still looks empty though, i feel like i tstill needs some more rocks.. lol.

took the pH today and it was 7.4. I will continue testing it daily.

Toirtis said:
Looks great. 'Rocks from grandma' makes me long for my friend's grandmother's driveway....the day she got a new load of gravel and we discovered it to be about 30% small fossils.

totally missed your comment.. lol. My grandma's road used to be all limestone and flint and stuff. My cousins and I used to find fossils and stuff all the time. And we built a "rock fort" out of tons of the rocks. Well when they gravel/paved the road they took all the rocks but my grandma got a ton of them. She was very willing to share.. although there were a couple really awesome ones that she wouldn't part with and i know i could've talked her out of them ,but i wouldn't feel right if i did. It does bring back memories every time i look at the tank.

Back
Top Bottom