Rock Structures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As long as they are stable, it won't cause a problem. If you are stacking, you may want to glue them to add more support.

I'm breaking this off into it's own thread.

No, the rocks won't break the bottom glass. I have 70 lbs. of rock in my 55 gallon with no issues. Siliconing the rocks together is an excellent idea, or another alternative is using eggcrate under your rocks if it's making you nervous.

Eggcrate! Brilliant.

I was just curious cause I know water weighs 8.5lbs/g etc, but with a big rock, the pressure is more concentrated. So I suppose an eggcrate would work well distributing the pressure.
Just thinking aloud.
Thanks

Yes, that is the point of the eggcrate, for weight distribution. My rocks are pretty flat and easy to stack, so I didn't silicone them or use eggcrate. My cichlids dig to an extent, but nothing that would suggest knocking over my rockwork. If you are uncomfortable with just stacking your rocks, you should at least go for the eggcrate I suppose. You will be keeping much larger cichlids than I do, so I assume they have much more digging potential, LOL! Remember if you silicone your rocks, to allow 48 hrs. for curing before you put them in your tank.

With Christmas just around the corner, you must be super psyched about your new 90 gallon!

I use egg crate in our 150 because the africans are big on digging. Then hit glass often and it made me nervous because they would make structures slide. When we moved we put down the eggcrate, no more glass. :)

never heard of any problems, unless you put a sharp edge on the glass itself, and that cracks the glass.but once either eggcrates are used, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

I use eggcrate myself. I have over 30lbs of rock stacked in one side of the tank. Made me feel more secure. I have cichlids and they dig the sand under the rocks out. Better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom