Rock's??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiburon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Found some rock's the other day :whistle: people were looking
at me like :huh:.... 1 lady even tried too Hustle Tibs for a tank
$50. for a 55g and stand so i got her # :D

The? How do you know which Rock's are safe? Should i have
blasted them at the car wash? Checked them this morning and there are like
3 rock's that worrie me.. Got lines in them that look like Rust
Did a search and found nothing.

Will post some pic's in the morning

from what I gather, test them with vinegar. if it bubbles, they're no good. Then rinse them well and you should be good.

That could just be sedimentary rocks with layers of different colors in them, I have some like that... but I would definitely agree with rich that if you're pretty sure it's rust, don't use them. The vinegar test doesn't really do much IMO. IF you have a lower pH (low 7's or below) it might raise the pH a little. IF you already have a higher pH (mid to upper 7's or higher), they're not going to do a whole lot.

Most rocks you'll find are safe ... so long as their not in an area contaminated with toxins, oil etc. Generally here are rocks you can feel comfortable with

1. Igneous rocks - Granite, Diorite and Scoria(lava rocks)
2. Sedimentary - Dolostone and Limestones are the better options, though they could alter pH as mfdrookie516 said. Sandstones are hit or miss depending how well it lithified. Shales are not IMO the best for aquariums.
3. Metamorphic - Slate, Gneiss and Schist are all good .. I have them in mine. Marble is the metamorphic form of Dolostone / Limestone and could also alter pH.

The problem is depending where you live, you may only naturally find one of these types.

img_1433006_0_a5746a02ed598dd8de328180377bbe89.jpg

Here they are!! The one with the Red Owner Hook is 1 that
kinda worried me.. i can just go find sum more. Nah!!
did'nt realize how many i had in the Burban. What do ya'll Think??
were all underwater when i found them

Sad part is!! Don't even own a Tank yet.....

If you suspect rust do not use them, metal is not good in a fish tank.

Rust on rocks is iron staining and may be ok ... depending on how much staining. But I agree with rich311k better to skip the rock to be safe if your not certain.

Here they are!! The one with the Red Owner Hook is 1 that
kinda worried me.. i can just go find sum more. Nah!!
did'nt realize how many i had in the Burban. What do ya'll Think??
were all underwater when i found them

Sad part is!! Don't even own a Tank yet.....

When you say under water do you mean a lake or river? Since your in Texas, I'd say they are all sedimentary rocks .. mixture of Carbonates (Limestone), Shales and Sandstones. Generally Sandstone / Shale are hit or miss, some are better than others .. but since you say you found them under water then chances are they're ok. The flat ones I suspect are shale, if it didn't crumble when you pulled it should be fine.

The vinegar test is a decent start, if the rock bubbles, it's not good for the tank. After sorting which rocks bubble or not I run a pH test. I test the water straight from the tap, then fill multiple containers. After 24 hours I test the pH in the containers then add the rocks. I'll then test the pH daily for a week to see if the rocks are "stable". If nothing spikes high, I'll run the rocks through the dishwasher on a soapless cycle to make sure all loose dirt/debris is gone, then add them to my tanks.

Thank's Everboby! Shadowraven i'm gona have too read that!!

jcolon- All were found in the River.. Did'nt have too pull any
of them, just find them under the current.. except the big one
in the back. Was sitting outta the water. Where i found it at!
The water is just barely moving. Some parts have completely
dried out with the condition's out here..

Back
Top Bottom