Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrRockzo13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i found some awesome looking rocks id like to add to my tank, i was just wondering how to clean them before adding them ... any help would be great thanks :fish2:

With some c-c-c-cocaine!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I just got some rocks myself and the instructions I received was hot water, a stiff brush and some elbow grease. I used the type of brush used to clean a grill (new).
Somebody had recommended bleach followed by lots of rinsing and weeks of bucket soaking to make sure all the bleach was gone, but I did not want to deal with/risk that.

i found some awesome looking rocks id like to add to my tank, i was just wondering how to clean them before adding them ... any help would be great thanks :fish2:

If you know that they are appropriate for your aquarium, I usually brush them off and then rinse then in very hot water. You can use boiling water on them too. Just don't boil the rocks themselves...

I recently found some myself, now they are in my aquarium. Washing them with hot water is best, and using a stiff brush to scrub away any dirt or unwanted particles. Avoid using any form of chemicals, just water is enough.

I used a large quartz rock in my 29g, it had been in my flower bed for yrs. I put it in a large ultrasonic cleaner we have at work. Most jewelry stores have them , maybe for a fee they would clean rocks.

Thanks guy I poured boiled water over then gave then a good scrub with a stiff brush and rinsed with hot water, got them pretty clean and they are now in my tank

Back
Top Bottom