Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2004, 12:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

rocks

Will shale rock be ok to put in my tank? I'm going to switch to all natural in my tank. I guess you can't really change the gravel after a tank is cycled can you? all the good bacteria is on the gravel. Everything in my tank is fake and the plastic is horrible for algae. I want the real underwater look to my tank now. I'm guessing you would have to cycle a whole other tank with the new gravel before you could use it or start a whole new cycle in my established tank and lose everything i've worked so hard for. I've got a biowheel and media bags in both my filters. The filter that came with the 20gal topfin starter kit is way to little so i added the mini biowheel and man what a difference!! So i wonder just how long it would take to cycle if i started over. I've got 4 long finned danio's, 3 red tetra's, 1 male guaramis, 1 beta. I guess maybe the best thing to do would be get my rocks and live plants and everything that i want and put them in the tank and let them gather bacteria for a good month or two and when i do water changes i can rinse the new gravel i want with the old water or let the gravel sit a little while in the old water. any ideas how to do this would be great and much appreciated.

Old 08-10-2004, 01:30 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

With a biowheel, there should be enough bacteria there to not have to worry about changing gravel or decorations.

If you are really paranoid, you can add the rocks, but leave the old gravel in a mesh bag inside the tank. Let it run for a few weeks so the new rocks will be colonized. Then remove the old gravel.

Either way, the key is to keep monitoring the tank in case there is a mini-cycle & you need to do extra water changes for a while.

Old 08-11-2004, 11:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If the tank is established there should be enough biological media in the filter to allow you to change the substrate. You would of course want to keep a close eye on the parameters if you do this, as a "mini cycle" could occur. How long has the tank been running?

Shale should be fine in your tank- but I'd test the pH, GH, and KH levels BEFORE adding it. Really soft water has a poor buffering capacity and rock can alter the water's chemistry- which is very bad for fish.
Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 01:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

my water is very hard, as is the tap water too. the tank has been running 3 months now.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

There is a way to test rock to see if it will leech into the water. Put a few drops of vinegar on the shale. If it bubbles up dont use it.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If your tap water is very hard, there shouldn't be any problems adding shale to the tank. Just make sure there are no sharp edges, the rock is securely in place, and it hasn't been exposed to chemicals, pesticides, etc.

Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rock, rocks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com