Rocks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just found out one of my larger river rocks seems to have some sort of metal or something in it. Safe? Or... It passed the vinegar test, and I boiled them for 30-60 min...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398458972.772864.jpg

It looks more like flecks of iron pyrite. Copper does not exist in elemental form naturally, it's tied up usually an as oxide or sulfide of some sort. Iron pyrite is ferrous sulfide which is typically insoluble in water but can be oxidized to iron oxides and sulfate compounds. Iron compounds are naturally acidic in nature so it may impact tank pH.

Is this from an existing rock in the tank or one you plan to add?

It looks more like flecks of iron pyrite. Copper does not exist in elemental form naturally, it's tied up usually an as oxide or sulfide of some sort. Iron pyrite is ferrous sulfide which is typically insoluble in water but can be oxidized to iron oxides and sulfate compounds. Iron compounds are naturally acidic in nature so it may impact tank pH.

Is this from an existing rock in the tank or one you plan to add?

Been inside for a few days. My tap water is kind of low though, I believe about 6.8...

Back
Top Bottom